30 Low Carb Vegetables with Recipes – Keto Paleo Friendly
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
After ten years of writing this blog, Spinach Tiger has become known for cracking the code on biscuits and desserts, but the food group I most treasure lies right here in this garden of low carb vegetables and vegetable based recipes.
If you like to eat as I do, and I mean eat with gusto and joy, then vegetables can be the best thing that ever happened to you. You will especially love these big fat healthy, low carb vegetables which include my many delicious recipes, as they are satisfying, filling, lean a tad toward gourmet deliciousness.
Many are low carb recipes, spanning soups, salads and sides.
Eat Low Carb Vegetables with Gusto on a Keto Diet
Many people attack a keto type diet eating only meat, cheese and eggs. This is a big mistake for multiple reasons. The bounty of low carb vegetables will not only fill you up and please your palate, your body needs them for good health.
You can read this article for more on why you need to eat a nutrient dense vegetables on a keto diet.
Below is list of all low carb vegetables in alphabetical order, that you can eat with gusto. A rule of thumb is the lowest carb veggies grow above the ground such as greens and cruciferous veggies. The higher carb veggies grow below the ground such as carrots or beets. I’m not suggesting you abandon root vegetables, but be aware of the sugar content and plan accordingly.
What are the low carb vegetables?
This is my go to list. There are enough recipes here to take your through every season. I am listing net carbs which accounts and deducts fiber content.
Artichokes (6 net carbs per medium artichoke)
Arugula (one cup is less than 1 net carb)
- Arugula Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette with Soft Boiled Eggs
- Arugula Hash with Oven Baked Eggs
- Arugula Salad with Strawberries and Manchego Cheese
- MORE ARUGULA RECIPES
Asparagus (one spear is under one net carb).
- Chicken and Asparagus Stir Fy
- Roasted Asparagus
- Asparagus Gremolata
- Asparagus Detox Soup
- MORE ASPARAGUS RECIPES
Bell Peppers (4 carbs per cup)
- Paleo Grain Free Stuffed Bell Peppers
- Italian Chicken with Peppers and Onions
- Cauliflower Cheese Steak Skillet with Bell Peppers (low carb)
- Roasted Red Pepper Soup
Broccolini (5 carbs per 8 stalks)
Broccoli (4 net carbs per 1 cup raw)
- Broccoli Basil Mozzarella Frittata
- Roasted Broccoli with Lemon and Olive Oil
- Raw Broccoli Salad with Bacon (sugar free)
- Broccoli Basil Soup
Broccoli Rabe (1 carb per cup)
If you’re following a low carb diet, broccoli rabe, also known as rappini, is very low in carbs and high in flavor, if you follow my recipe. It’s closer to turnip family than the broccoli family, is somewhat bitter, but amazing when prepared Italian style.
Broccoli Bacon Salad with Toasted Almonds, Honey Mustard Dressing
Brussels Sprouts (5 net carbs per cup)
- How to Cook Brussels Sprouts Ten Ways
- Garlic Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Five Minute Flash Fried Brussels Sprouts
- MORE BRUSSELS SPROUTS RECIPES
Cabbage (less than 3 net carbs per cups)
- Sauteéd Cabbage with Butter & Bacon
- Red Cabbage Salad
- Braised Red Cabbage
- Italian Sausage Cabbage Soup
- Ribolita, Tuscan Cabbage Soup
- Pork and Sauerkraut
- MORE CABBAGE RECIPES
Cauliflower (1 cup is approx. 3 net carbs)
Easy to prepare and one of the most versatile low carb vegetables I’ve ever met.
- Benefits of Cauliflower with Cauliflower Parmesan
- Whole Butter Roasted Turmeric Cauliflower
- Golden Cauliflower Soup
- Cauliflower Risotto
- Purple Cauliflower Salad with Walnut Vinaigrette
- Cauliflower Mash
- Cauliflower Fried Rice
- Cauliflower Cheese Steak
- Roasted Whole Cauliflower with Spatchcock Chicken
- Grilled Cauliflower Steak
- Flash Fried Cauliflower
- Cauliflower Hash
- Buttery Oven Baked Cauliflower with Parmesan
- Cauliflower Pizza Crust
- Twenty Cauliflower Low Carb Recipes HERE
Celery is a low carb vegetable. 2 stalks is under 3 net carbs.
Stuff celery with cheese or chicken salad.
Collard Greens (1 net carb per cup)
Cucumber (8 ounce peeled cucumber is 3 net carbs)
Dandelion Greens (3 net carb per cup)
Fennel (4 net carbs per cup)
- Fennel Stuffed Pork Roast
- Fennel Salad
- Braised Fennel with Grouper en Pappillote
- Braised Fennel with Scallops
Green Beans (4 net carbs per cup)
- Yard Long Green Beans
- Green Beans Casserole (low carb) with Brussels Sprouts
- Green Beans Almondine
- Seared Tuna Nicoise Salad
- MORE GREEN BEAN RECIPES
Kale (3 net carbs per raw cup)
Melted Tuscan Kale Recipe
Kale Green Smoothie
Kale Winter Salad
Lettuce (less than 1 net carb per cup)
- The Party Wedge Salad with Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing
- Farmhouse Salad with Homemade Ranch
- Roasted Salad Greens with Hazelnuts & Pecorino
- Holiday Salad of Romaine, Pear, Pomegranate
- MORE SALAD RECIPES
Mushrooms (not a vegetable but notable for a low carb diet at less than 3 carbs per cup)
- Burger Steaks with Sour Cream Mushroom Sauce (Low Carb)
- Chicken Marsala with Mushrooms (Low Carb)
- MORE MUSHROOM DRIVEN RECIPES
Okra (4 carbs per cup)
Poblano Peppers (6 net carbs per average pepper)
Radishes (less than 1 carb per radish)
Shishito Peppers (2 net carbs per 7 peppers)
- Recipe coming
Snow Peas (4 net carbs per 1 cup)
- Recipe Coming
Spinach (1 carb per 1 cup raw)
- Spinach Salad with Grilled Peaches
- Low Carb Spinach Tortillas
- Ricotta Spinach Sausage Frittata
- Greek Spinach Salad with Salmon
- Joe’s Special and How to Freeze Spinach and Kale
- Spinach Soup
- Garlicky Sauteed Spinach with Walnuts
- MORE SPINACH RECIPES
Spaghetti Squash (5.5. net carbs per cup)
Spaghetti Squash with Italian Sausage and Mushrooms Casserole
Sugar Snap Peas (8 net carbs per cup)
Swiss Chard /Rainbow Chard (1 carb per cup)
Rainbow Chard Chicken Roulade (low carb)
Turnips (6 net carbs per medium turnip)
- Turnips are one of the few underground vegetables that is low in carbs. We love roasting them or putting them in soups and stews instead of potatoes.
- Turnip Veal Stew
- Beef Vegetable Soup with Turnips
- Roasted Turnips
Watercress is a very low carb vegetable (1 carb for six cups)
- Potato Watercress Soup (replace potato with cauliflower for low carb version)
Yellow Squash (5 net carb per medium squash)
- Yellow Squash Frittata
- Summer Chicken Soup with Squash, Kale and Avocado (skip the corn if eating low carb)
- Yellow Squash Oven Baked with Pork Panko (keto)
- MORE YELLOW SQUASH RECIPES
Zucchini (4 net carbs per medium)
- Zoodles with Shrimp and Olives
- Roasted Zucchini
- Zucchini with Pecorino and Toasted Almonds
- MORE ZUCCHINI RECIPES
Tested Low Carb Recipes You Will Make Over and Over
These low carb vegetable recipes are tested across many people groups and you can enjoy them all day long. Let’s get started. I have provided links to my especially favorite low carb vegetables with recipes and will continue to add more recipes.
Hello, I think your site might be having browser compatibility issues.
When I look at your blog in Ie, it looks fine but
when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping.
I just wanted to give you a quick heads up!
Other then that, awesome blog!
There are so many delicious looking recipes here! I am trying to eat less meat this year so I will definitely be coming back here for inspiration. The broccoli with prosciutto had my mouth watering!
I love all these healthy ideas for vegetables! I’m on a quest the moment to get my daughter to eat a different vegetable every day for the next 2 weeks and as she doesn’t like vegetables I’m thinking I need to just find different ways of cooking them so she might like them!
Try my cauliflower recipes. Those should tickle her fancy.
Such a useful compendium of recipes for anyone looking for low carb recipes
So many beautiful looking recipes here – I especially love the broccoli!
So many delicious recipes here. I’d be lost without vegetables in my diet, especially greens. I’m glad you pointed out that you can still eat these on a keto diet.