Purple Cauliflower Salad Recipe with Walnut Vinaigrette
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you can get your hands on green and or purple cauliflower, you must make this purple cauliflower salad recipe. This is the salad that will keep you from snacking on junk food and feed your body well.
I made this same exact salad here with plain white cauliflower and while it was oh so good, nothing looks as good as color.
How does cauliflower get green or purple you ask.
Green cauliflower is a hybrid of cauliflower and broccoli. Purple cauliflower gets its color naturally and it’s origin is placed in Italy or South Africa. Purple cauliflower’s color is due to the presence of the antioxidant anthocyanin, which can also be found in red cabbage and red wine. Purple cauliflower also goes by the variety names Sicilian Violet, Violet Queen and Grafitti cauliflower.
This Green and Purple Cauliflower Salad Recipe is perfect for a large outdoor gathering.
I put the two colors together for a recent Easter dinner at the farm. The color alone made me happy. You can play around with various vinaigrettes, but just be sure to add more vinegar than you usually would. Like this kale salad, cauliflower stays firm and needs a very acidic dressing. Otherwise it will be bland and boring. You should also make this ahead of time because the longer it marinates several hours (up to overnight) the better it will taste. Just add your nuts in at the last minute.
In this purple cauliflower salad recipe, I used sunflower seeds. Almost any nut will work. Make sure to toast them first.
This is a fantastic choice for a potluck, a shower, a party, as it is best eaten at room temperature and stays delicious for hours.
When I think about purple cauliflower, I think about parties, because it’s so festive. Take this to your next party. People will thank you.
You can see more on this salad here, where I made it with white cauliflower, pistachios and a champagne vinaigrette.
Here is the video of the original white cauliflower salad, which will help give you an idea as to how to cut it. I used walnut oil in this one to change up the flavors.
Walnut Vinaigrette adds something special this Purple Cauliflower Salad Recipe
Twenty More Amazing Cauliflower Recipes from Spinach Tiger
More Salad Recipes Here
Purple Cauliflower Salad Recipe
- 1 head purple cauliflower
- 1 head green cauliflower
- 1 cup chopped sunflower seeds or chopped toasted walnuts
- 2/3 cup golden raisins can use dried cranberries
- 4 bunches of scallions
- 1 cup walnut vinaigrette see recipe below
- sea salt
- red pepper flakes as needed
- !Walnut Vinaigrette or Champagne Vinaigrette found here
- 2 clove garlic minced
- 2 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 6 tablespoons walnut vinegar can use white vinegar or champagne vinegar
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 tablespoons walnut oil
- 2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Cut out the bottom core of cauliflower. Discard
- Slice cauliflower as thin as you can. Mandolin is best, but you can slice with good sharp knife.
- Toss with vinaigrette.You will want the vinegar to be pronounced. I found that the cauliflower doesn't hold the vinegar taste.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add in chile flakes.
- Add golden raisins, chopped scallions, nuts, (reserve some nuts for garnish).
- !Vinaigrette Instructions
- Infuse olive oil with chopped garlic for 20 minutes.
- Put mustard in a jar and mix well with vinegar.
- Slowly add olive oil. Mix well.
- Add red pepper flakes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add nuts right before serving.
You can cut this recipe in half. You can see what that looks like at this recipe.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo
I’m sure when you walked through the door with that the party went from pot-luck to jack-pot! GREG