Each Spring and each Fall, I take all of my clothes out of my closet and replace them with the current season. It disturbs me to no end to see a winter scarf in July, or a bathing suit in December. The summer down comforter goes on the bed an winter one is boxed and put away. I’m one of those who constantly changes out the pillows and flower arrangements to fit the season, and I get neurotically upset if I accidentally come across a Christmas decoration lying around loosely in the garage in May, which always happens.
I’m not a neat freak. I just like to try to hold onto to the present time. I don’t live in the past, nor do I want to think about my Thanksgiving dinner in August. I’m not a planner. When, as a blogger, I’m a bit forced to plan ahead, it makes me feel like someone is pushing me to my grave, making time go faster, and skipping over today’s beautiful day.
Am I bit crazy to feel so strongly about this? I don’t know. I just know this.
It’s 8:00 a.m. on a Friday morning and I have 15 hours to live this day. I want my minutes to be in this day, not yesterday, not tomorrow, but in this beautiful day, which brings me to this stunning, summer chicken soup that can only be made on a summer day with yellow squash from my garden and peaches and cream corn from Burns Farm. You can’t have this in the winter time. That’s a different chicken soup. This is the soup that celebrates a very sunny day, with all its yellow colors.
I don’t want to think about cozy fires or soft wool sweaters. I want to think about a bright pink dress, my feet on the grass, as I go to my garden, to pick out the yellow squash, basil and parsley. I want to feel the warmth of the big fat yellow sun beating down on us, reminding us to smile and enjoy life, enjoy today, this minute. That is how I arrived at a summer chicken soup.
This soup can be make with a homemade chicken stock and a small whole chicken. It can also be make with left over chicken, a rotisserie chicken and store bought broth. The thing that makes it special and so fresh tasting is barely cooking the vegetables, adding the chicken, corn and avocado to each bowl as it’s being served.
This version below skipped the avocado. You could also add in a teaspoon of fresh pesto or add in some tomatoes. Make it your own, but make it say Summer Chicken Soup. You can get some chicken soup pointers here at my fast chicken soup and you can make homemade chicken stock here with ten tips to help you out,
Now, how about you? Are already in Autumn in your head, or are you basking in the lazy days of summer?
Summer Chicken Soup with Yellow Squash, Corn, Kale, Avocado
- 8 cups Chicken Stock or broth see note or canned broth
- 2 cups soup pasta such as stars pastina or noodles
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- sprigs of thyme
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery
- 2 yellow squash diced
- 2 cups kale
- 1 avocado as garnish
- 2 ears of corn shucked, cooked (see below)
- chopped parsley
Cooking Corn on the Cob
- Rinse corn and microwave four minutes by placing damp cloth or wet paper towels over corn.
- It will easily release and be cooked.
- You can either make a fresh chicken broth with this recipe above or used canned. If you make your own chicken broth, use a whole chicken, boil just until the chicken is cooked and then remove. Take meat off chicken, place bones back in to continue making the broth.
- Cook noodles separately, and cook corn separately.
- Once broth is done, remove all bones and herbs.
- Add in squash, kale.
- Serve in bowls, adding chicken, corn, avocado and fresh parsley.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo