Can I be honest with you? I think I may have cracked the spaghetti squash code with this spaghetti squash casserole recipe.
I made this dish on a Wednesday of last week, and then made it all over again. The honest part is that I was never the biggest fan of spaghetti squash. I’ve made recipes with it before, but this one busted to the top of my all time favorite Fall dishes.
Italian sausage, mushrooms, onions, sage, thyme, pecorino Romano and a splash of heavy cream come together to bring one of the best Italian comfort dishes of the season and it’s still low-carb!
I talk to you all the time about my favorite Pecorino Romano cheese and why I love it so much. It’s a sheep’s milk cheese that has a salty tang, and can be used interchangeably with Parmesan Cheese.
Spaghetti squash tastes best when it is properly softened. This squash is twice baked and tender.
Each bite delivers a moment of comfort with the flavors of the sausage with the grated cheese, the earthiness of mushrooms and slight sweetness of the squash, all pulled together by heavy cream.
The spaghetti squash is roasted and then rebaked in a casserole. This also happens to be a very pretty dish that makes a beautiful presentation if you decide to put it back into the shell of the squash.
Spaghetti Squash is only 31 calories per cup and about 5.5 net carbs.
You might also like these Squash Recipes from Spinach Tiger
Spaghetti Squash Casserole Recipe with Italian Sausage
- 1 medium Spaghetti Squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
- salt and pepper
- 2 pieces bacon
- 1/2 onion finely diced
- 2 cups mushrooms
- 1 pound Italian Sausage
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan or pecorino Romano Cheese.
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Microwave spaghetti squash for 3 to 5 minutes, to make it soft enough to cut it.
- Carefully cut in half lengthwise using a towel to hold the squash.
- Scoop out seeds. It's important to do that now, as they are harder to separate out once baked.
- Brush olive oil or butter over spaghetti squash.
- Put into baking dish open squash side down.
- Roast for 30 minutes at 400 degrees F. or until it's easy to shred squash into tendrils with a fork.
- While squash is roasting, slice bacon across into small lardons.
- Fry bacon until you have crispy pieces. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
- Keep just enough of the bacon grease to sauté the onions and mushrooms for about 5 minutes until soft. Once cooked add to dish with the bacon.
- Wipe out grease from pan and cook sausage, removing it from casing.
- Drain sausage on paper towels.
- Remove spaghetti squash and allow to cool.
- Use the fork to shred the squash.
- Mix together sausage, bacon mushroom mixture, squash.
- Add half cheese and heavy cream.
- Put into a baking dish or back in reserved squash shells.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle remaining grated cheese and bake for twenty minutes at 400 degrees.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo