Low Carb Gluten Free Apple Muffin Recipe
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
It’s sweater weather and this means it’s also apple season. Apples just might be my favorite fruit and the one time I’ll step away from keto and start munching. You can certainly make this sugar free (I do) or you can use your own choice sweetener.
Perfect Gluten Free Cake Recipe
Years ago I did my best to make gluten free cakes with rice flour and tapioca flour. These are difficult flours to bake with and often turn out gooey and or dense. Once I discovered a balanced combination of almond flour and coconut flour I never went back. Rice and tapioca flour also spike blood sugar and I encourage you to read this article on the diet differences.
Ingredients for Gluten Free Apple Muffin Recipe
- Almond Flour
- Coconut Flour
- Xanthan Gum
- Baking Powder
- Swerve Granulated
- Avocado Oil
- Baking Powder
- Sour Cream
- White Chocolate Chips
- LorAnn Raspberry Royal Extract
Topping for Muffins
- Swerve Confectioner’s
- Maple extract (optional. Can use vanilla)
Cinnamon is a must, but cardamom is optional and go light. Cardamom is a spice that can add to the flavor profile or apple or pear recipes.
What Apples are Best for Apple Muffins
I like to use Fuji or Gala Apples. Granny Smith are also used a lot in baking, but I don’t want to add more sweetener. Use whichever you like, but stay away from red delicious.
I’ve chosen not to make this recipe “keto” or low carb, even though we don’t use enough apples. I’ve seen other keto bloggers have recipes for apple crisp using zucchini, not apples and that seems odd to me. One large apple (which is all you need for this recipe) is 31 carbs, 26 net carbs, which means each muffin has under 3 carbs of fruit.
This depends on how many macros you are counting or eating otherwise. If you are eating just a 1/12th of an apple, or even 1/4th of an apple and it’s Fall, go for it. This small amount should not kick you out of ketosis. Only you can decide what is right for you. I know I post a lot of keto friendly recipes and some people will object to eating anything with any amount of apple. In that case, check out my many other keto muffins.
More Keto Muffins from Spinach Tiger
Low Carb Apple Muffins
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large apple chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon blackstrap molasses
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 1/4 cups blanched almond flour 260 grams
- 4 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 cup Swerve Granulated or erythritol of choice
- 1/2 cup avocado oil
- 6 extra large eggs
- 4 tablespoons sour cream 60 grams
- 1/2 cup almond milk unsweetened
- 1/2 cup Swerve Confectioner's Sweetener
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1/2 teaspoon maple extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 180 C.
- No need to peel apples. Cut into small cubes, sauté in butter, with cinnamon and black strap molasses. Make batter while apples are cooling.
- Mix all dry ingredients except the sweetener. Set aside.
- Beat eggs for about 4 minutes in mixer or with hand mixer.
- Stream in oil.
- Add Swerve or Erythritol of choice.
- Shake sour cream, milk and vanilla in jar. Add to batter.
- Gently mix in the dry mixture.
- Stir apples into mixture.
- Use ice cream scoop to scoop evenly into 12 muffin liners.
- Bake for 15 to 22 minutes or until golden brown.
Maple Glaze Instructions
- Heat Confectioner's Swerve Sweetener, butter, stirring until all is incorporated. Immediately spoon on muffins.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo
Made these muffins for Church Potluck. Everyone that ate them (there were 18 muffins) raved about them and wanted the recipe. My husband says they are the best gluten free muffins that he has ever tasted. He can’t stop raving about them. The best part is that I have been trying to switch him to sugar free. He was a little leery at first but has changed his mind since making these muffins. Thank you for sharing such great recipes.
Thank you so much!