Keto Carrot Muffins, Paleo, Grain Free
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Not too long ago, I posted a keto triple layer carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. I heard back from readers that this recipe works well and they and their family love it, which makes me happy because I sell it in my keto bakery.
Today, I want to show you that you can turn the recipe into keto carrot muffins or keto carrot cupcakes.
Today, I’m suggesting carrot muffins which may or may not be topped with cream cheese frosting. Sometimes I just want the muffin without a topping for breakfast. Other times I have to have something a little more special and that’s where the cream cheese frosting comes in. You could also top with a regular keto buttercream or a just a sprinkling of Swerve Confectioner’s.
The carrot muffins travel well, and would also be good in a packed lunch, or a breakfast on the go. They are loaded with walnuts, which I believe gives it a welcoming heft.
If you’ve been here before, you’ll know that my keto muffins and cupcakes are made a little bit differently. I like to bake them in tart liners instead of cupcake liners. You CAN, however, bake these more traditionally in muffin paper liners, making sure to add a little bit more to the baking time. I like these tart liners and find them easier to eat, easier to share and you don’t need a cupcake pan. Just place these on a baking sheet.
They are also pre-seasoned and more substantial. Baking time is reduced to 15 minutes as opposed to 20-25 minutes.
Ingredients for Keto Carrot Muffins
- Blanched Almond Flour
- Coconut Flour
- Swerve Granulated
- Baking Powder
- Xanthan Gum
- Pecans or Walnuts
- Nutmeg (optional)
- Avocado or Olive oil
- Blackstrap Molasses
- Keto Cream Cheese Frosting (if desired)
Can Carrots be Allowed in a Keto Friendly Recipe?
Yes, as long as the carbs remain low, and each cake will be about 4 net carbs with or without the cream cheese frosting.
How to Top the Keto Carrot Muffins
- Cream Cheese Frosting
The cream cheese frosting is made with Swerve Confectioner’s, cream cheese and butter. I like to keep it plain for the carrot muffin, but you could flavor it with lemon, maple, or orange.
I use a large round tip in a pastry bag to top the muffins as seen above. It’s a pretty easy technique, but I think it looks great.
More Grain Free Keto Muffins from Spinach Tiger
- Keto Cranberry Orange Muffins
- Keto Pumpkin Streusel Muffins
- Keto Blueberry Crumb Muffins
- Grain Free Peach Muffins
- Keto Coffee Cake Muffins
- Lemon Blueberry Muffins
- Maple Pecan Muffins
- Keto Raspberry Muffins
- Keto Strawberry Muffins
- Keto Vanilla Glazed Donut Muffins
Keto Carrot Muffins
- 2 1/4 cups blanched almond flour 260 grams
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 cup Swerve Granulated
- 1 cup carrot shredded
- 1/2 cup avocado oil
- 6 extra large eggs
- 1 teaspoon black strap molasses
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 12 ounces cream cheese
- 12 tablespoons salted butter 6 ounces
- 1 1/2 cups Confectioner's Swerve
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream if needed
- Preheat oven to 335 degrees F. 170 C.
- Line each bottom of cake pans with parchment paper. Spray with baking spray.
- Mix all dry ingredients together, Set aside.
- Add shredded carrots to dry mix.
- In Mixer, beat eggs and mix well for three minutes. I use the egg beater in the kitchen aid instead of the batter beater.
- Slowly stream in melted butter or avocado oil.
- Mix sour cream and almond milk. Pour in.
- Gently mix in the dry mixture, followed by pecans. (Save a little pecans for garnish if desired).
- Pour into each pan evenly.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until center of cake reaches 207 degrees F.
- Once done allow to cool in pan ten minutes, before removing.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Make sure both butter and cream cheese are soft. To quickly soften butter, cut Into pieces on plate and allow to sit. You can microwave cream cheese for about 20 seconds to soften.
- Beat well. A hand held beater works best for frosting. Add Confectioner's a half cup at a time. Only add heavy cream If needed.
- To build a naked cake, first arrange which layers you want in what order and make sure they are level, using a serrated bread knife to even out. I use a large open tip for the inside layers, piping in a concentric circle and then smoothing out. I make the roses with a large 1M piping tip.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo