I am pretty good at avoiding carbs or eating low-carb. However I love potatoes, all kinds of potatoes and lately the twice baked potato was on my mind. Then I wondered if it would be possible to make something similar with cauliflower for a twice baked cauliflower, which would fit the keto diet perfectly.
Obviously, the answer is a big fat yes! However, the recipe didn’t go exactly as planned. It actually came out better.
The twice baked cauliflower is roasted, mixed with sour cream, blended (but not to a puree), and then topped with cheddar cheese and baked again until the cheese is melted. This was so good, it could have been my dinner.
I originally wanted to make this to go with this New York Strip Steak, for a special dinner.
When I first set out to make twice baked cauliflower, I thought that maybe I should steam the cauliflower first, then mix it with sour cream, but I tried something else first.
I roasted the cauliflower first. This provided a more substantial heft instead of a puree type texture, and after you try this method, I know you will agree with me. The result was a cheesy bite with a real bite to it. The roasting adds a nice flavor too.
Ingredients for Twice Baked Cauliflower
- Cauliflower Head
- Smattering Olive Oil
- Sour Cream
- Chives or Scallions
- Salt, Pepper
- Cheddar Cheese (or cheese of your choice)
- Bacon Bits (optional)
Tips for Twice Baked Cauliflower
- Roast cauliflower with just a smattering of olive oil.
- Put the sour cream in the blender first. Blend to bring together, but don’t puree. Keep in mind, you want heft. It will continue cooking in the oven.
More Cauliflower Sides
- Cauliflower Mash
- Cauliflower Risotto
- Parmesan Cauliflower
- Roasted Greek Cauliflower
- Whole Roasted Tumeric Cauliflower
- Popcorn Cauliflower
Twice Baked Cauliflower
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 scallions or chopped chives
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese grated (more if desired)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, 205 C.
- Remove the core stem and cut up the cauliflower into large pieces. You will be mashing this, so you can roast in large pieces.
- Drizzle small amount of olive oil over cauliflower.
- Roast for 15 minutes.
- Mash in super blender (or Vitamix) add sour cream, salt, pepper, chives, or chopped scallions. Blend but careful not to puree. You want heft.
- Transfer to baking dish. You can do Individual dishes or one small casserole dish.
- Cover with cheddar cheese and bake until cheese is melted.
- Add bacon bits if desired. Garnish with chives or chopped scallions.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo