Flash Fried Greek Cauliflower with Feta, Kalamata Olive, Lemon
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Cauliflower is truly a star now. It used to be considered a boring, bland vegetable that had to be covered up with cheese sauce. Not anymore.
So many of us have discovered cauliflower is our friend in the kitchen on many levels. Flash Fried Greek Cauliflower makes a great appetizer or amazing side dish.
My favorite way to transform cauliflower is to think about my other favorite starchy vegetable, the potato, and try to make replacements when I’m going low carb.
We now make cauliflower with our New York Strip Steak instead of serving potatoes. We feel better at the end of the meal, and it’s low carb.
Flash Fried Greek Cauliflower is Golden Brown
Flash fried Greek cauliflower turns crispy golden brown. When adorned with kalamata olives and crumbled feta cheese, it’s the star of the dinner. Sometimes this is dinner! A few squeezes of lemon, some sea salt and a smattering of oregano and it’s complete.
One might ask, what’s the deal with cauliflower? Is it healthy? It’s looks like a big white hard sponge. What does it do for you aside from being a low calorie, lower carb choice?
I’m glad you asked. I don’t like the idea of diet food substitutes, or the idea of “I’ll eat this until I lose weight.”
I DO like the idea incorporating cauliflower because it’s one of the most versatile of foods and usually a fit for most diets or lifestyles that is easily attainable and does a body good.
I wrote about the benefits of cauliflower in this post for Cauliflower Parmesan, and it’s worth repeating.
The Most Commonly Known of Benefits of Cauliflower
- Cauliflower is anti-inflammatory, the biggest buzz word around, because this is connected our immune system and so many diseases.
- Cauliflower has choline, which boosts brain health.
- Cauliflower contains properties that aid digestion.
- Cauliflower is high in antioxidants
You can make this in an Air Fryer
I’ve made this a second time in my air fryer. I wasn’t able to get the same level of crispy as I did with flash frying, but it was still very good. You will have to up the heat to 400 degrees in the air fryer and it takes a little longer, about ten minutes for each batch.
Feta Cheese, salty, tangy, crumbly, creamy
I absolutely love feta cheese. Although some feta is comprised of goat and sheep’s milk, I look for 100% sheep’s feta in a brine. Trader Joe’s has one we love. Not all feta is created equally, and some grocery stores fetas don’t have flavor. Feta should usher in a bit of sharpness, saltiness and tang. Feta pairs well with kalamata olives, dried herbs and olive oil.
Once the the cauliflower is flash fried, I immediately season with salt and pepper, squeeze a little lemon, and crumble the feta, add the olives and sprinkle a little oregano. It’s a very satisfying bite of flavors and texture. Feel free to add a few red chili flakes too.
Serve Flash Fried Greek Cauliflower with these Entrees
- Za’atar Lamb Chops
- Lamb Meatballs
- Chicken Thighs with Roasted Tomatoes
- The Perfect New York Strip Steak
- Red Snapper
More Cauliflower Dishes from Spinach Tiger
- Popcorn Flash Fried with Almonds
- Shaved Cauliflower Salad
- Whole Roasted Caulifower
- Air Fryer or Sheet Pan Italian Sausage, Cauliflower and Fennel
Flash Fried Greek Cauliflower with Kalamata Olives, Feta Cheese
- Dutch Oven (if using this option)
- 1 head cauliflower cut into small pieces)
- 1 cup avocado oil you may not need all of it
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese see notes
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano or small amount dried finely chopped
- 1 squeeze lemon
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- Heat oil in a dutch oven or frying pan. You will want to have a spatter lid.
- You can use a deep fryer and a lot more oil to do a quicker flash fry, but I don't find that practical for a home cook, and this will get the same results.
- Add in cauliflower pieces. Oil should cover at least half of the cauliflower.
- Add salt. Don't add any other ingredients until you remove cauliflower.
- Turn over when browned.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Add to dish. Sprinkle with crushed red pepper (at your discretion for heat), spices of your choice, and top with chopped nuts, golden raisins and parsley.
- Top with parsley. Serve immediately.
- Add kalamata olive, crumbled feta cheese
- Garnish with oregano and parsley.
- Season with salt and pepper.
AIR FRYER OPTION
- Toss cauliflower pieces in olive oil, salt, pepper.
- Air fry in batches at 400 degrees f. until golden.
- Toss with kalamata olives, oregano, feta cheese.
- Season with salt and Pepper.
- Garnish with parsley.
- Sprinkle with crushed red pepper if you want more heat.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo