Is there such a thing as Spaghetti Squash Lasagna! I thought for a moment about the title of my recipe.
I’m Italian and it was only after my husband said this was the best spaghetti squash he’s ever had that I realized I could title this as a form of lasagna that is keto friendly and grain free.
It all started with a spaghetti squash that sat on the counter for a few weeks. I had no plan, but I did have a can of Italian tomatoes, some fresh mozzarella cheese, pecorino, ricotta cheese, and a pound of mixed ground beef and ground pork.
When these ingredients come together in the right balance, it’s very reminiscent of lasagna. It has the creaminess of the cheese, the flavor from the meat, a combination of ground pork and ground beef, pulled together by a fresh quick tomato sauce.
Spaghetti Squash lasagna is very easy to put together with little actual prep time.
The squash is oven roasted like I did in this recipe, which gives it a caramelized depth of flavor.
How to Roast Spaghetti Squash
The hardest part of roasting spaghetti squash is cutting it to roast it. You can microwave it for a few minutes to make it easier and then cut lengthwise. Scrape out the seeds and pulp. Place face down in a baking dish with a few inches of water and bake until tender at 400 degrees F.
While the squash is baking, you can make a quick tomato sauce, and brown the meat. I like meatballs in my lasagna, but to make it easier, I add some spices and pecorino cheese to a mix of ground beef and Italian sausage and browned it. It gives you the taste of the meatballs without the trouble, but using left-over meatballs can be a good idea.
I used a combination of beef and pork, but you can use all beef, ground turkey, or even Italian sausage. I flavored the meat the same way I flavor meatballs, with lots of pecorino and parsley.
This is a great recipe to make when you have left over meatballs, such as these paleo meatballs
Pin this ↓
Use Three Cheeses for Keto Spaghetti Squash Lasagna
I used three cheeses, pecorino (for the meatballs) and for topping, fresh mozzarella and ricotta. If you don’t have pecorino, use parmesan.
More Spaghetti Squash Recipes
This is one of our favorite Fall to Winter dishes for its earthiness from the mushrooms.
Three Cheese Spaghetti Squash Lasagna Caserole, Keto Friendly
- 2 cups quick tomato sauce recipe below
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 pound of ground meat see notes
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup pecorino romano or parmesan
- red chili flakes
Quick Tomato Sauce
- 1 can San Marzano Tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 onion
- Roast spaghetti squash
- Soften spaghetti squash by microwaving for five minutes.
- Or you can just cut in half, lengthwise.
- Scrape out seeds and stringy parts.
- Put face down in pot. Add water up to about 3 inches.
- Roast for 40 minutes or until softened.
Make Tomato Sauce
- Crush tomatoes with hand.
- Heat olive oil.
- Add onion and garlic.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook uncovered for 30 to 40 minutes.
Make Ground Beef Mixture
- Season meat with parsley, 1/4 cup grated pecorino cheese, salt and pepper.
- Brown Meat. Drain grease if necessary.
- Shred spaghetti squash with a fork.
- Paper towel moisture off of squash.
- Arrange in casserole dish or cast iron pan.
- Toss with Sauce. You may not use all of the sauce, depending as to how much you have.
- Arrange meat, ricotta cheese and mozzarella in various places in dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until all cheese is melted.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo