Keto Birthday Cake, Grain Free Yellow Cake with Chocolate Frosting
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you’re on the keto diet, paleo diet, or diabetic, you can have your cake and eat it too. This recipe is made with coconut flour, which is great for those who are nut free.
This keto birthday cake of yellow cake with sugar free chocolate frosting is one of the best keto desserts I’ve made so far, according to my taste testers (who have very good palates).
The cake crumb is moist, but not too moist as some keto cakes can be, and bouncy like a true sponge cake.
This cake earned rave reviews from Doug who grew up celebrating his birthday every year with this classic birthday cake. He said this is better!
Grain Free Coconut Flour Base for Yellow Cake
The yellow base of this cake is coconut flour and the secret is good butter and sour cream. I couldn’t be happier sharing this recipe with you because I know you’re going to love it.
Birthdays mean a lot to me. I never had birthday parties growing up and once I hit adulthood, I made sure to celebrate my own and everyone else around me.
Nothing gives me more pleasure than to bake a birthday cake for someone, but if they are diabetic or on the keto diet, it’s been a challenge.
Now diabetics and low-carb or Paleo life stylers can enjoy birthday cake without the guilt or physical liability.
Many people simply can’t eat sugar. Once they get away from it, they get reactions, headaches, joint pain or weight gain. It’s just not worth it to venture into sugar and flour for a birthday party and suffer later.
Baking with Coconut Flour
I’ve decided for now, I’m loving baking with this coconut flour, as long as I use sour cream and plenty of eggs. It makes a very nice crumb that also freezes very well. Coconut flour is also very affordable and you don’t need to use very much. You do need to add in xanthan gum which keeps the crumb together.
After much baking with almond flour, and many many low carb, keto friendly cakes in the kitchen, coconut flour has provided the texture I’ve been looking for in a sponge cake. True sponge cake.
How to Sweeten a Keto Birthday Cake
I use Swerve, a powdered erythritol and wrote an article with all the F.A.Q.’s, here, What is Swerve Sweetener? Why I Use Swerve for Keto Baking which will help you understand why and how to bake with it. It’s also what I used to make this low carb chocolate buttercream frosting.
Triple Layer Cake, Double Layer Cake or Single Layer Cake
The six inch triple layer cake seems so fancy, but it’s very easy to put together. However, you can make a double layer cake. Even though the sprinkles are not sugar free, I think a few make the cake more celebratory, but you can always decorate the cake with something like this.
More Celebratory Keto Cake Recipes from Spinach Tiger
Triple Layer Keto Coconut Cake
Take some time to browse around the many big fat healthy recipes here. There is an entire category devoted to Keto Friendly Desserts here. Follow me on instagram where you get to see the process and recipes before they hit the blog.
Grain Free Keto Birthday Cake
- 3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum ORDER HERE
- 6 tablespoons butter at room temperature
- 6 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 1/4 cups granulated swerve
- 9 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract or vanilla paste ORDER HERE
- 7 drops stevia glycerite optional
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons milk or heavy cream
- baking spray ORDER HERE
- Sugar Free Chocolate Frosting RECIPE HERE
- Kitchen Tools
- six inch cake pans ORDER HERE
- parchment paper ORDER HERE
- Kitchen Aid MixerORDER HERE
- Off set spatula ORDER HERE
- Prepare 3 six-inch cake pans with baking spray and parchment paper. I use one large rectangular parchment papers and cut it into three. You can also make this cake with 2 nine-inch cake pans.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix coconut flour, baking power, baking soda, salt, xanthan gum together. Set aside.
- In your mixer, place butter and mix well.
- Add oil. Mix well.
- Add Swerve. Mix well.
- Add eggs one at a time.
- Add vanilla.
- Add stevia glycerite
- Add sour cream. Mix well.
- Add in dry ingredients.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Check at 25 to see if toothpick or cake tester comes out clean. Cake should spring back.
- Cool cake completely before removing from pan.
- Use Serrated knife to even out tops of each cake, so they can be placed on top of each other with bottom of cake as top layer.
- Freeze cake for 15 minutes. This will make it easier to frost cakes.
- Frost with chocolate frosting.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo