This is a cake to celebrate. Grain free,gluten free strawberry cake with a sugar free frosting made with almond flour and swerve turned this decadent cake into a guilt free pleasure. I made this for my own birthday! It’s delicious, moist, flavorful and has a perfect texture.
The taste of this cake is superb and you just can’t believe this strawberry cake is gluten free, grain free, low carb, and sugar free.
I learned a lot about baking with almond flour this past summer when I made this perfect orange cake, because I made six of them, trying to figure out measurements, eggs, fat, etc. Now that I have that down, I can make just about any kind of almond flour cake.
Oil vs. Butter when Baking with Almond Flour
I have a few baking remarks that will be of great interest when it comes to baking with almond flour. The basics of make a good cake include a heavy amount of eggs and either butter or oil (I use avocado oil). Oil will make a cake rise higher, but may slightly cloud the taste. Butter will taste richer, but does not rise the same way.
I made a double layer cake, but typically I bake my cakes as snacking cakes in one layer. It was doubled up because it was my birthday cake. I used this to test out the difference between baking almond flour cakes with oil and with butter.
I made two different cakes, one with oil and one with butter. We all taste tested and decided that there was more of a strawberry taste when baked with butter, but the cake with the oil rose higher.
Both were very good. I am now wondering what would happen if I did half butter, half oil. I think this would be a good compromise. I also think if you are only baking one layer, use oil, because you want the cake to rise as much as possible.
You can make this as a one layer, a double the recipe and a double layer 9 inch cake or a mini triple layer 6 inch cake.
This grain free strawberry cake is very good news for folks counting carbs or following a keto diet. It’s high in calories but very low in carbs (about 2 net carbs).
Here is a one layer cake decorated with strawberry frosting and stabilized whipped cream.
Use Fresh or Frozen Strawberries for the Grain Free Gluten Free Strawberry Cake
I used frozen organic strawberries, but you could use fresh as well. You will need enough to have one and half cups of strawberry puree to make a one layer cake with frosting. You could skip frosting and go for this stabilized whipped cream with added fresh strawberries as another option.
Nutrition values are always done to best of my ability. A one-layer cake with ten servings without whipped cream is 2 net grams, 31 fat grams, 10 protein grams.
More Low Carb Cakes from Spinach Tiger
- 280 grams almond flour Order Here
- ½ avocado cup oil
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup strawberry puree
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder Order Here
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon xantham gum Order Here
- 1 cup Swerve Order Here
- Mix almond flour, salt, baking powder baking soda, xanthum gum, together.
- Mix Strawberry puree with Swerve, Oil and eggs.
- Mix both wet and dry ingredients.
- Prepare baking pans with parchment paper and baking spray.
- Pour into prepared baking pans and bake at 350 degrees F, 180 C. for 30 minutes or until the toothpick or cake tester comes out clean.
- Mix cream cheese until it's fluffy.
- Add butter. Mix well.
- Add in frozen strawberries. Mix well. The strawberries will break up into small particles.
- Add in strawberry puree.
- Slowly add in confectioner's sugar until you get the consistency you want.
- Assemble Cake
- Cool cake completely before removing from pan.
- Spread frosting over cake.
- If Making a Double Layer Cake:
- Double Recipe. You might want to put stabilized whipped cream in between layers.