Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad with Apple Cider Vinaigrette
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad is easy, delicious and versatile. Brussels sprouts are so good raw if properly shaved thin and dressed in an apple cider vinaigrette.
This is the perfect salad to bring to a party or serve with a rich or fatty meat, and it can be made in advance.
To add a bit of heft, I added in some kale, which gives a beautiful darker green contrast.
To add a bit of sweet, I added in some gala apple. You can make this more tart by adding in a granny smith apple.
To add a change in texture, I added in some golden raisins. You can skip this or replace with cranberries or dried cherries. If you want to skip the sugar, you can skip the dried fruit.
To add more flavor and crunch, I added in some toasted almonds. You can change the nut to pistachios, hazelnuts, or even peanuts.
To make this exciting, I added in shaved pecorino romano, adding saltiness and tang.
The important part of this recipe is shaving the brussels or using a very sharp knife to slice the brussels quite thin. I use this inexpensive mandolin from OXO to do the job. Be careful though and use the holder.
The other important part is the acidic vinaigrette. This you need to keep.
The Pros of a Shaved Brussel Sprout Salad
- You can make it ahead and dress it ahead.
- You can take it to a party or potluck. It keeps its crunch.
- It brings a balance to fatty meats.
- It’s delicious.
- It’s a super food salad.
Play around with Shaved Brussel Sprout Salad
- You can leave dried fruit out for a keto/low-carb choice.
- Change the nuts to pistachio, walnut or peanuts.
- Add pomegranate for a holiday twist.
- Add goat cheese instead of pecorino.
More Salads with Brussel Sprouts
This is not the first time I put brussels sprouts into a salad with kale. This recipe makes the brussels sprouts the star, but here’s a winter kale salad with a smattering of brussels sprouts where kale is the star, and walnut vinaigrette, which would also work well here.
Here’s an apple and brussels salad with pancetta and corn bread croutons.
One of the best salads I ever made that is slightly more complicated is this red beet pesto and brussel sprout salad.
More Brussels Sprouts Recipes from Spinach Tiger
Brussels Sprout Salad
- 1 pint brussels sprouts cleaned sliced thinly
- 1 apple sliced into apple sticks
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt OR to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons shaved pecorino romano cheese
Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar more as needed
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Wash and trim brussels sprouts.
- Cut thin strips cross wise.
- Cut apples into strips. Gala is a good choice, doesn't brown.
- Toss brussels sprouts and apples with vinaigrette.
- Take the thick rib out of the kale, if using Lacanato (my choice). Chop into bite sized pieces.
- Toast almonds in oven for four minutes.
- Mix shaved brussels sprouts, apples, raisins, kale, and almonds.
- Toss with just enough vinaigrette
- Add shaved Pecorino Romano Cheese
- Season with salt and pepper
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo