We love our old fashioned ground meat tacos and taco salads. I was a bit horrified when I read the second ingredient of my favorite taco seasoning mix was sugar. SUGAR! No need for sugar in taco seasoning mix, or corn starch.
If you’re like me, you probably thought taco seasoning mix was simply spices. Well think again, there are all kinds of ingredients you do not want in your food.
What is taco seasoning mix?
It’s a mix of spices and herbs that you probably already have in your pantry.
Chili powder, cumin, sea salt, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, paprika, ground red pepper or cayenne.
I suggest you make this as your base, taste it, and then add more of whatever you like. You can make it more spicy or add in more cumin or more salt.
I happen to love my DIY taco seasoning mix as is, especially with my surprise herb. I didn’t have dried oregano and substituted herbs de provence. That may sound a bit crazy to you, but it works for me. Another good substitute for oregano is dried thyme.
I make a large amount and store in mason jars.
You can get creative with your DIY taco seasoning mix. It’s not just for taco meat.
Here are some ideas for Diy taco seasoning aside from taco:
- Mix with cheddar cheese and make epic grilled cheese.
- Avocado Toast with Taco Seasoning scrambled eggs.
- Deviled Eggs – would be excellent mixed into these deviled eggs.
- Tortilla Soup.
- Baked Chicken marinated with Taco Seasoning.
- Taco Salad Dressing.
- Dips, Spreads.
- Mexican Pizza – Mix tablespoon with cheddar cheese.
- Mix with your favorite rice or cauliflower rice with butter or oil.
- Sprinkle into this Mexican pasta chicken.
Here are some related recipes from Spinach Tiger
Special Taco Meat with Bacon (Recipe Coming)
Keto Friendly Taco Cups Made in Muffin Tins (Recipe Coming)
DIY Taco Seasoning Mix
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 4 teaspoons onion powder
- 4 teaspoons garlic powder
- 4 teaspoons dried oregano see notes
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground red pepper or 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Mix all spices together. Keep in a jar.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo