Recipe type: Entree
A Cuban classic of ground meat, olives, and sazon seasoning
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- ½ poblano pepper, diced (can substitute green bell pepper)
- 1 pound ground beef (can substitute ground turkey, ground pork)
- 12 small green Spanish olives, cut cross wise
- 1 tablespoon capers
- Queso cheese (for garnish)
- 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon cider or balsamic vinegar or 1 teaspoon vinegar based hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon sazon seasoning (homemade recipe below)
- black pepper
- queso fresco (for garnish)
- corn tortillas
- [b]!Homemade Saźon Seasoning[/b]
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon toasted coriander seed
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon annato seeds, ground (or paprika)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Saute onions and carrots in olive oil until onions are softened, about three minutes. Add in garlic, poblano peppers, and saute for one minute. Crumble ground beef and add to the pan.
- Once meat is browned, add saźon seasoning.
- Add in olives, capers, can of tomatoes, vinegar, honey, and bay leaf. If the meat is extra lean, add in two more tablespoons of olive oil. Simmer over very low heat for two hours, stirring occasionally. Alternatively, this can be put into a slow cooker to simmer on low for 4 hours. Remove bay leaf before serving.
- !Instructions for the Sazon Seasoning
- Toast peppercorns and coriander seeds in frying pan until warmed through. Add all ingredients to spice blender and grind.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Warm corn tortillas. Place shredded lettuce. Top with picadillo. Garnish with queso fresco