These grain free tortillas are the best low-carb, keto friendly almond flour tortillas I have ever tried.
From a reader:
“The Perfect blend of ingredients….just did a batch and they turned out great….thanks from a keto lifestyler.”
I tested six batches to bring you an almond flour tortilla I was proud to share with you. This is going to be one of those recipes you will come back to get again and again, so I suggest pinning or bookmarking right away.
If you eat a ketogenic diet or a gluten free diet, you will be thrilled, for a number of reasons.
These are easy to make, are low-cost, and they have a wonderful texture that holds together with messy stuffings, and freezes well.
I wouldn’t dream of bringing you such a basic item, unless I tested and retested to make sure of your success.
On the first four batches, I thought they were just okay. They worked; they did the job. But I still wasn’t satisfied.
Then we had carnitas party and my husband brought home corn chips with chia and flax. I didn’t want to eat those very delicious chips and as I kept staring at the package, the lightbulb went on.
Add chia and flax and see what happens!
My Friends Agree: These are Amazing Grain Free Tortillas
I then tested on my friends. I have one friend in particular who strictly follows the keto diet and she was over the moon.
I had two other friends who don’t follow a low-carb diet, but wanted to know more about grain free living. I invited them for lunch. They loved them and immediately texted me for the recipe when they got home.
I am as excited about these as I am about my grain free biscuits. I know that when people are following a low-carb diet they miss certain foods and that’s when too often the diet goes away. These make a keto or lower carb life very livable.
They are so easy to make. I put all the ingredients in my kitchen aid mixer, but you can use a food processor. I use this tortilla press (amazon link) to make the perfect rounds with these parchment papers.
Grain Free Tortillas are Keto Friendly at only 1 Net Carb
The good news is not only is the texture right, they are only 1 net carb, and 52 calories. They will provide much needed fiber, another big plus, as many folks following a low-carb diet don’t get enough fiber.
You Can Freeze Grain Free Tortillas
You can have tortillas whenever you want, because you can freeze these. Wrap in plastic, with parchment in between. Microwave frozen for 15 seconds. I tested this and they return to their pliable and tasty original form. If you don’t like microwaves, leave out and reheat on a cast iron griddle or frying pan.
Now all you have to do is think of ways to use these.
You Can Make These Egg Free
You Can Make Grain Free Tortillas Egg Free if you have allergies. I made a test batch without an egg and increased the water. They came out fine, which is good news for people with egg sensitivities.
Get the Grain Free Spinach Tortilla Version
Grain Free Tortillas would be great with the following dishes from Spinach Tiger.
Make Chicken Enchiladas
You might also love these pan-seared salmon tacos.
Ropa Viejo (cuban shredded beef)
Grain Free Tortillas with Chia and Flax
- Mix all dry ingredients together.
- Add vinegar, water, egg to mixture.
- Mix in either a mixer or food processor. I use a mixer and mix until well incorporated.
- Allow to rest for twenty minutes.
- Heat a cast iron griddle to high.
- Divide into 8 rounds. (this comes to about 29 grams each). I weigh mine out. This makes for a very uniform stack.
- Use two parchment paper rounds for bottom and top and press out each tortilla. If you don’t have a press, you can roll out, but you will need to use parchment paper. If you want 8 tortillas, roll out to about 4 1/2 inches across.
- Cook first tortilla for 30 seconds. Turn over for about 5 to 10 seconds.
- It’s time now to lower to medium high. You may need to adjust cooking temperature as you get through the stack. You want the to get a little golden like the picture, but not browned. You don’t want to overcook.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo