We all love taco salad, no matter which way you decide to arrange it. Sometimes it’s made with grilled chicken, sometimes it’s made with ground beef (old school). But no matter how I choose to make it, I always make the same dressing.
Everyone likes their taco salad a little differently. I still like the old school taco meat salad, but the key for me is the right dressing that is creamy and adds flavor.
I’ve been making and eating taco salads since my early twenties. Prior to that I never even had a taco. When I moved to California right after college, I was walking distance to Taco Bell and at that time I was crazy about the Supreme Burrito and the Taco Salad. I’ve come a long way since then and so has the taco salad.
You can make it as simple as you want with just taco meat, lettuce and cheese or go all out with what I call the works, including olives, avocado and my best taco salad dressing. I personally skip the beans, but some of you love them, so feel free to add.
I was given this recipe from Andrea who has lots of yummy things on her instagram feed Nashville Made. She brought it to one of my Galentine’s parties.
When I took this to a party, people raved over the dressing and texted me the next week for the recipe.
What is the best dressing for taco salad?
This is so easy, because it’s a ratio of 1 to 1 to 1 and the components are sour cream, mayonnaise, and jarred salsa. I use the fire-roasted salsa from Trader Joe’s. You can use any jarred salsa you wish, but not one with a lot of texture. If your salsa is chunky, run it through the food processor first.
- Sour Cream
- Fire Roasted Salsa (or regular, but add in some heat).
- NOTE: If you can’t find fire roasted salsa, add some of this sugar free taco seasoning.
Why this Recipe Works
The fire-roasted salsa give heat and acid. The sour cream adds the tang and the mayonnaise adds creaminess. If the dressing isn’t acidic enough, add a teaspoon of vinegar or some lime juice. Don’t use unsalted salsa. Add a teaspoon of taco seasoning if needed. Trader Joe’s Taco seasoning is very spicy, and a teaspoon would add a nice amount of flavor and heat.
You can make your own taco seasoning here.
Taco Salad Ingredients
- Taco Meat or Meat of your choice
- Lettuce, chopped
- Black Olives
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Beans (optional)
- Tortilla Chips (skip if eating grain free, sub with crushed pork skins).
- Taco Salad Dressing
- Chopped Tomatoes or Pico De Gallo‘=
Use for Old School Tacos
Use this best dressing for taco salad for these keto taco cups.
More Mayonnaise Dressings from Spinach Tiger
Best Dressing for Taco Salad
Taco Salad Dressing
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup fire roasted salsa see notes
- lime wedge optional
- 4 handfuls Crisp lettuce chopped
- 2 tablespoons sliced black olives
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- crushed tortilla chips
- 1 cup taco meat Recipe Here
- 1 avocado sliced
- lime wedges
Taco Salad Dressing
- Combine all three ingredients. You can add taco seasoning if it needs it.
- You might also want to squeeze some lime into the dressing.
- Arrange lettuce, meat, cheese, avocado, olives, tomato on plate and use dressing as much or as little as you like.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo