This site contains Amazon affiliate links which earn commission on qualifying items.
You are going to love these keto crunchy taco cups. This is one of those recipes where I had an idea and it worked on the first try even better than imagined.
I think I was working out when I started thinking it was time to tell you how we make our amazing taco meat. Think bacon. As my mom, Retro Rose says, a taco has to have a crunchy shell. I personally think they also need to have that “corn” taste.
I have a great base low carb keto tortilla recipe here. This recipe adds 9 crushed tortilla corn chips to the recipe, and we love it. You can leave the chips out if you want to, but they only add 1.5 net carbs to each tortilla. Adding the chips stretches the recipe to 10 mini-taco bowls.
You can fill these keto taco cups with your favorite taco meat recipe or make little avocado bowls for that serious high-fat keto recipe. A breakfast bowl of scrambled eggs would be great fun, and you can use these unbaked in muffin tins as a base for small quiche recipes. The creative possibilities for these are endless.
I use the same ingredients I used when making these tortillas, except for the chia seeds. You add those back in if you want to.
You will need these ingredients:
- almond flour
- coconut flour
- xanthan gum
- cider vinegar (or white vinegar)
- golden flax meal
- tortilla chips (or chia seeds)
It’s important that you do use the xanthan gum, or else they will fall apart.
You will need these kitchen tools:
- A tortilla press – this will give you perfect rounds for the muffin tins, although you could use a rolling pin in pinch.
- Parchment paper to use with tortilla press.
- Food processor or kitchen aid mixer – to mix the dough.
- Muffin pan that makes 12.
I put in one tortilla chip per serving to give some crunch and flavor. If you cannot eat corn or any grains for some reason, put the chia seeds back in and skip the corn chips.
Options for Crunchy Taco Cups: Make Taco Shells or Soft Tacos
You can make these in a taco container like this one if you want a crunchy taco shell or you can heat flat on a griddle like this. Instead of putting into muffin tins, you will heat on a griddle.
Crunchy Keto Taco Cups
- Put tortilla chips in plastic bag and crush (or put in food processor).
- Mix together all dry ingredients in either food processor or Kitchen Aid mixer.
- Put egg, vinegar and water in cup. Mix and add to dry ingredients.
- Mix until a dough forms. Wrap in plastic and rest in refrigerator 30 minutes.
- You can skip this part, if time is short.
- Divide the dough into 10 equal parts, or about 29 grams each.
- I use a kitchen scale to weigh each dough ball to keep a uniform size.
- Flatten with tortilla press using parchment paper. If you don't have a press, you can roll.
- Press into muffin tins.
- Bake at 350 f. for 10 minutes.
You can heat these on top of stove in a frying pan a minute each side for a soft taco.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo