Spring is here and and it’s time to roast strawberries and make the best keto strawberry cake possible. Roasted Strawberries go in both the cake the strawberry cream cheese frosting.
I first tested this recipe on my bakery clients and they love them. This keto strawberry cake recipe will make a one layer cake or a dozen cupcakes. You can double the recipe for a triple layer 8 inch keto strawberry cake when you’re celebrating.
I don’t use cupcake liners. I use tart baking cups found here. This is what I used in my bakery. They are easier to eat, easier to share. However, you can use the same recipe for 12 cupcakes.
In case you don’t know I teach keto baking classes and operate a keto home bakery. This means that I will bake the same recipe over and over again until the recipe is perfect. Having a home bakery has been a baking game changer, because I can get immediate feedback and see what recipes get re-ordered.
I sell small cakes, the size of a tart, which are easy to eat and cut into pieces, when you just want a small bite.
What flour is best to make Keto Strawberry Cake
A combination of almond flour and coconut flour are used for a perfect texture. A strawberry cake has to be moist, but not dense. It should spring back and be just firm enough to hold a luscious strawberry cream cheese frosting.
Strawberry cake using fresh strawberries is tricky because strawberries have a high moisture content. That’s why you see recipes using flavored gelatin. I never do that always using fresh or frozen strawberries.
Even without a strawberry frosting, this cake has strawberry flavor, and that’s not easy to accomplish.
Another challenge when making a grain free cake is to make sure to push flavor into alternative flours like almond and coconut flour. This is why I use roasted strawberries. The flavor is divine and the color of the cake is pink without food coloring.
Roasted strawberries will be turned into puree and used in both the cake and the strawberry frosting.
What Sweeteners do I use to make Keto Strawberry Cake?
How do I Roast Strawberries?
Roasting Frozen Strawberries: Because strawberry season has not arrived yet, I used organic frozen strawberries. I first defrosted them, sprinkled granulated Swerve and placed them on a baking sheet with parchment paper. Parchment is important to prevent the juice from sticking or burning. Bake at 375 degrees F. for 20 to 30 minutes until strawberries look soft, dark and caramelized, but not burned.
Roasting Fresh Strawberries: Cut in half, sprinkle with Swerve and proceed as above.
The roasted strawberries will be used for both the cake and frosting. You will need enough to get at least 1 1/3 cups puree.
How do you make strawberry cream cheese frosting?
I use Swerve Confectioner’s Sweetener. Strawberry cream cheese frosting is decadent and delicious. I recently took this to a party and the frosting was the star. This is not the frosting I use in the bakery, as I can’t use cream cheese. I use a strawberry buttercream for that.
I use equal amounts of butter and cream cheese along with strawberry puree. The key is making sure the butter is whipped for a full five minutes before adding in a warmed up cream cheese. The puree should also be at room temperature and added a little at a time, just until you think you have enough strawberry flavor.
You can make this recipe as a one layer cake. Double the recipe and make an 8 inch three layer cake or 9 inch double layer cake.
The strawberry frosting is also good on this chocolate cake.
Nutrition Value: Carbs: 4 Fiber: 3 Net Carbs 1
More Keto Cakes
Keto Strawberry Cake
- 1/4 cup Granulated Swerve
- 2 cups strawberries Can use frozen, defrosted
Wet Ingredients for Cake
- 1/2 cup avocado oil or 4 ounces melted butter
- 6 medium to large eggs
- 60 grams sour cream
- 1 cup strawberry puree
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon strawberry extract if needed
Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 12 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cups Swerve Confectioner's Sweetener
- 1/3 cup strawberry puree
- 1/2 teaspoon strawberry extract if needed
- Assemble strawberries on sheet pan. Sprinkle with Swerve.
- Roast at 350 degrees F. for about twenty minutes.
- Once the roasted strawberries are cooled, put in blender and blend to make puree.
Strawberry Cake Instructions
- Mix all dry ingredients (not the sweetener) in a bowl. Whisk. Set aside.
- Mix Sweetener with avocado oil.
- Add eggs one at a time and mix each egg thoroughly.
- Add sour cream, strawberry puree, extracts.
- Add in dry ingredients and mix on low until just mixed.
- If making a layer cake, bake at 350 degrees F. (180 C.) for 30-35 minutes, until interior middle reaches 210 degrees. You may need to cover with foil at around 25 minutes.
- If making cupcakes, bake 20 minutes until interior middle reaches 210 degrees F.
- If making mini cakes, bake 15 minutes.
- Cool cake completely before frosting.
Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- Butter and cream cheese both needs be soft. Cut into small pieces. You can microwave cream cheese for 10-15 seconds to soften it.
- Whip butter until fluffy. Whip Cream cheese separately and mix both together.
- Add Swerve Confectioner's Sweetener 1/2 cup at a time.
- Make sure puree is at room temperature. (You can microwave a few seconds if need be).
- Add puree a little at a time. Keep mixing until incorporated. You want it soft enough, but not runny.
- Frosting can be smoothed on with an offset spatula or put into a piping bag and piped. Add a fresh strawberry to each as a garnish if desired.
- Add In some strawberry extract, if needed.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo