After two years of making keto lemon cupcakes known as Lala Cakes in my keto home bakery, I improved my cake this week. This means it’s even better than ever and it’s always been really good. A top seller and a fan favorite. I can honestly call this the best keto lemon cake recipe anywhere.
This recipe for keto lemon cake will make 12 oversized cupcakes, or one 8 inch double layer cake. It’s topped off with a keto lemon cream cheese frosting that is creamy, lemony and amazing!
Keto Lemon Cake which is also paleo friendly and gluten free is made from a combination of almond flour and coconut flour. It’s very similar to my basic recipe for keto cake, except I leave out the sour cream.
While sour cream adds something to my vanilla and chocolate cake recipe, leaving it out improved the flavor of the lemon.
Best Technique for Preparing Best Keto Lemon Cake
I have an unconventional method for mixing cake batter, but I didn’t invent it. Its the technique Christina Tosi from the Milk Bar uses. Instead of starting with creaming butter and sugar, we start with the eggs and whip them frothy. Avocado Oil or melted butter is then slowly streamed in, followed by the liquid, followed by the mixed dry ingredients. The result is a much fluffier cake and this is especially important with a lemon cake which can go flat.
- Mix all dry ingredients, lemon zest, including the sweetener. Set aside.
- Using a kitchen aid type mixer or hand mixer, whip eggs five minutes until frothy.
- Stream in oil or melted butter.
- Follow with liquid (lemon juice).
- Add dry ingredients. Gently mix.
It’s important to taste your batter. I always microwave a teaspoon of batter to make sure it’s lemony enough.
How to Make Keto Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
I like to use a combination of cream cheese and butter. A good ratio is 12 ounces of cream cheese to 4 ounces of butter. I use 1/2 cup Swerve Confectioner’s sweetener to every four ounces of fat.
- Cream Cheese
- Lemon Zest
- Lemon Extract
- Lemon Juice
- Swerve Confectioner’s Sweetener
- Dash Salt
Make a Layer Cake or Individual Cakes
This is the cake I baked for a crowd this year for a friend’s birthday. People loved it. Swooned over it and wanted it again. The cake is fluffy and the lemon cream cheese frosting is so creamy and lemony. I offer this in my bakery in two ways: a celebration cake and Lala Cakes. Lala Cakes are individual mini cakes baked in paper tart cups. If you plan on doing a lot of baking I recommend these cups. They are sold in 200 pack, but so worth it.
My Favorite Sweetener for Best Keto Lemon Cake
My favorite choice for keto sweetener is Swerve, which comes in both granulated form and confectioner’s form.
Take this Keto Lemon Cake to the Next Level
By a sheer fluke I threw some left over lemon cream cheese frosting and put it on lemon blueberry muffins. Incredible balance of flavors. Add blueberries to your cake batter AFTER it has been put in the cake pan. This simple addition is addicting. Blueberries love lemon. Period.
More Keto Lemon Desserts
- Keto Lemon Budino
- Keto Meyer Lemon Curd
- Keto Lemon Blueberry Muffins
- Keto Lemon Butter Bundt Cake
- Keto Lemon Poppyseed Bundt Cake
- Keto Lemon Blueberry Bundt
- Keto Lemon Basil Shortbread Cookies
- Keto Lemon Torta Bianca
Keto Lemon Cake
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 cups Swerve Confectioner's Sweetener or more as needed
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 8 tablespoons butter 1 stick
- 12 ounces cream cheese 1 1/2 bars
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract more, if needed
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- Butter your cake pans with parchment paper.
- Mix together almond flour, coconut flour, Swerve Sweetener, salt, baking powder, baking soda. Set aside.
- Beat Eggs for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stream in avocado oil.
- Add lemon extract, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Add dry mixture and mix just until mixed. Don't over mix.
- Lightly spray baking cups or baking pans.
- Fill paper liners with batter or fill each cake pan evenly. I usually weight mine to make sure they weigh same. Do not use tare for weighing. Weigh with cake pan as you may have to make adjustments. Just make sure each pan with batter weighs the same.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. 180 C.
Lemon Layer Cake
- Cake Pans: Bake for 30 to 35 minutes minutes at 325 degrees. Use a meat thermometer to test the center of the cake which should be 207 degrees F. If your oven has various baking modes (bake or convection) use bake. This will keep your cake from browning.
- Cool for ten minutes, then take a knife around each edge and use a cake board or plate to flip over. Cool completely before frosting.
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- Make sure butter and cream cheese has been sitting out on counter at least two hours. Butter must be soft enough to whip. You can always take cream cheese out of the
- If using a piping bag, use 1 M large piping tip.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo