If you love lemon, you will love this torta bianca caprese, especially if you like Italian pastries which tend to be less sweet, more simple but still delicious.
Torta Bianca Caprese is made with almond flour and is naturally gluten free. Sweetened with white chocolate and brightened with lemon, it’s a perfect Italian dessert.
You might be familiar with torta caprese, a chocolate almond flour cake made here. This is the lemon version and it’s perfect for a tea, a breakfast cake, or a garden party.
I’m Italian and my genetics inherited a love for food, for cooking and for desserts that aren’t too too sweet. While I own a keto bakery, and I love baking as much as I love cooking, I don’t like how sweet Americans make desserts. This is less sweet and actually sugar free if you use Swerve. You can substitute the Swerve with sugar and the recipe will remain the same.
What is Torta Bianca Caprese?
The lemon counterpart of Torta Caprese is Torta Bianca Caprese. Both versions are one layer cakes made with almond flour. There is no baking powder as the eggs are separated and the whites are beaten almost stiff to soft peaks and folded in, to aid in rising the cake.
What sugar free white chocolate do I use?
I use Choc Zero white chocolate chips. There are other good ones on the market, like Lily’s.
What are the main ingredients of Torta Bianca Caprese?
- Almond Flour
- Sugar Free White Chocolate Chips
- Lemon Juice
What is a bain marie?
The white chocolate and butter will be melted together in a bowl placed over a pot of simmering water. This is called a bain marie, and used to more gently melt chocolate and not scorch it.
What is Swerve?
Swerve is a powdered erythritol that is calorie free and net carb free. Read my article about Swerve here. You can purchase Swerve at Sprouts, Publix and Whole Foods. You can also use Lakanto, a Powdered erythritol mixed with monk fruit.
How to juice a lemon and make candied lemon
If the lemon is very cold, put in the microwave about ten seconds. Before I juice a lemon, I like to zest it, and rub it into the sweetener, releasing it’s oils. Then rub the lemon on the counter, softening it up. I always use this juicer to avoid dealing with seeds and to get every last drop.
When I make my famous keto lemon bundt cake for customers, I always decorate it with candied lemon. This tool makes lemon strands perfectly. This OXO tool does two things, it makes those little citrus strands with the front part and it makes those beautiful long slices (great for cocktails) with the back part. It’s indispensable in my bakery.
Make Keto Candied Citrus
I toss the lemon strands in Swerve, lay them out on a cookie sheet, and they are candied by the next day. They keep several days in a jar too. I don’t find the need to boil them as you would when making candied lemons with sugar.
Pin This ↓ to save the recipe for Torta Bianca Caprese.
I hope you enjoy sugar free lemon desserts as much as I do.
More Sugar Free Lemon Desserts from Spinach Tiger
Torta Bianca Caprese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 180 C.
- Prepare pan. Place a parchment paper in bottom and spray or butter bottom and sides.
- Zest lemons. Add that to the sweetener. Juice lemons. Set juice aside.
- Make a bain marie. Set a stainless steel bowl over a pan of boiling water (not touching). Turn water down to simmer.
- Melt white chocolate and butter in bain marie, stirring with wooden spoon. Set aside.
- Beat eggs whites into soft peaks. Set aside and clean mixer for egg yolks.
- Beat egg yolks with sweetener until creamy, about 4 minutes.
- Add white chocolate mixture, lemon zest, lemon juice.
- Add dry ingredients.
- Fold in the egg whites.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until golden brown. The cooking time will depend upon the size of your pan. I used a 10 inch pan with removable bottom and it only took 30 minutes. The torta is not high and I prefer it like this. You can use a 9 inch pan.
- Check at 25 minutes. If the cake is browning too much, cover with foil.
- Serve with whipped cream.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo