Moist Lemon Cake, Low Carb, Sugar Free, Made with Almond Flour
Disclosure: This site contains amazon affiliate links which earn a small commission.
This healthy moist lemon cake recipe, made with almond flour, coconut flour, avocado oil and a whole bunch of lemons was the first grain free cake I ever made.
I didn’t expect it to work out. I knew this lemon cake would work because it has regular flour, but could we love a grain free cake?
I wanted to explore the keto diet plan and low carb baking. I wanted a cake that wouldn’t spike blood sugar and would be good for breakfast. I wanted a gluten free, grain free cake that I would serve to company. This is that cake.
I learned a few things about baking with almond flour when making this moist lemon cake.
Almond flour browns more quickly than other flours, so keep your temperature at 350 degrees F. The cake will appear more brown than other cakes, but that’s okay. Check your cake 10 minutes early and cover with foil.
It’s highly recommended that you weigh your almond flour. 1 cup is 112 grams. This recipe calls for 280 grams.
You need a lot of flavoring when using almond flour. Using a regular all-purpose flour, a few lemons would make one heck of a lemon cake. However, the almond flour absorbs a lot of the flavor and it is absolutely necessary to use a full cup of lemon juice, which means about 8 to 10 lemons.
Swerve sweetener is the next best thing to using sugar without the calories, carbs or spike in blood sugar making this moist lemon cake suitable for folks with diabetes.
This is a very moist lemon cake, better when refrigerated. It’s also addicting and good for breakfast.
I made the lemon cake as a one layer cake pan. You could make it as a pound cake. I put a glaze on it using the swerve confectioner’s sugar and lemon juice. You can top it with a sugar free frosting.
We recently discovered it’s also quite good with stabilized whipped cream. I added some sour cream to the cream for a faux creme fraiche.
If you love this, you will love this Italian Olive Oil Orange Cake that is made with whole oranges and almond flour, sugar free.
Make this as a Triple Layer Lemon Six Inch Naked Cake
Healthy Moist Lemon Cake Recipe
Lemon Cake Ingredients
- 2 1/2 cups blanched almond flour 280 grams I use this or recipe here
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 cup Swerve confectioners sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoons milk cream, or almond milk (I used cream)
- 1/2 cup avocado oil
- 8 small lemons for juice or 1 full cup of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon zest from lemons reserve some for topping cake
Lemon Glaze for One Layer Cake
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup Confectioners Sugar I use sugar free Swerve
- 1-2 tablespoons heavy cream optional
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups confectioners sugar I use swerve
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
Lemon Cake Instructions
- Grease a one layer cake pan. Can use a 8 inch or 9 inch. I used a 9 inch.
- Zest all lemons. Reserve some zest for topping cake later.
- Rub zest into sugar.
- Mix flours, sugar, salt, baking soda, xanthan gum together. Set aside.
- Mix eggs, milk, oil, zest, lemon juice together.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients.
- Mix just till incorporated.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Make sure to check at 30 minutes. (see notes)
- If making a mini triple cake, use three 6 inch cake pans.
- Use Parchment for the bottoms and spray the sides with baking spray or grease pans with coconut oil or oil of choice.
Lemon Glaze Instructions
- Mix lemon juice with confectioners sugar.
- If not thick enough, you can add in cream or butter.
- Whip butter first. add in confectioner's sugar and then add in lemon juice.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo