By now you’re probably realizing the same thing I’m realizing. You can bake almost anything sugar free, grain free and keot friendly. Even keto lemon poppy seed cake! I sell this cake in my keto bakery in the form of Lala Muffins and Bundt Cake.
I’m not sure how lemon and poppy seeds ever became the perfect marriage, but they did. Poppy seeds are seeds of the opium plant, but are not considered a pharmaceutical. Does anyone remember, though, when Elaine on Seinfield flunked a drug test because she was eating poppy seeds muffins. I’m not too worried about this as breads, bagels and muffins are made with poppy seeds all day long.
You can make this recipe into 12 over-sized muffins, my famous Lala Cakes, or a bundt cake. This is best topped with a sugar free lemon glaze and not a frosting or buttercream.
Swerve is my go to keto sweetener. Read here why.
Keto Lemon Poppy Seed Lala Cakes (Individual)
What makes these cakes so lovely is that they are flat, have more glaze on surface, easy to eat, easy to share. I bake my individual cakes in these cups.
How to Make a Bundt Cake
- Heavily butter your bundt pan.
- Place buttered bundt pan in freezer. Helps prevent over-browning.
- When ready to bake, spray again with baking spray.
- Test cake after 25 minutes. Cake is done at 210 F., 99 C. (I take out at 207).
- Set a timer for 15 minutes upon removal from oven.
- Use a silicone knife to gently go around the edges now and do this again at 15 minutes.
- Use a cake board to turn over.
- Cool completely before adding glaze.
Lemon Glaze for Keto Lemon Bundt Cake
Lemon glaze is easy to make. Mix lemon juice with the Swerve Confectioner’s Sweetener until you get the right consistency. You can also add in some lemon zest to the glaze. You can use some lemon extract and water instead of lemon juice.
Can I Freeze this Cake?
This cake freezes well. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap. When ready to defrost, take off plastic, rewrap loosely and defrost in fridge. Be careful about microwaving this cake to defrost as you may make it dry.
What are the Macros for Keto Lemon Poppy Seed Cake?
This cake is low in carbs and low in calories.
Carbs: 5 Fiber: 2 Net Carbs: 3 Calories: 168 Fat: 15 Protein 5
Keto Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 260 grams blanched almond flour 2 1/4 cups
- 26 grams coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup granulated Swerve erythritol
- 6 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 60 grams sour cream 4 tablespoons
- 2 lemons juice and zest
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- baking spray
- 1 cup Swerve Confectioner's or more as needed
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- Butter your bundt pan, heavily. It may take more than two tablespoons. Place in freezer.
- Mix together almond flour, coconut flour, salt, baking powder, nutmeg or cinnamon, xanthan gum, poppy seeds. Swerve granulated. Set aside.
- Beat Eggs for 5 minutes.
- Stream in melted butter.
- Add lemon extract.
- Add sour cream, lemon juice and zest.
- Add dry mixture and mix just until mixed. Don't over mix.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes minutes at 325 degrees F., 180 C. Use a meat thermometer to test the center of the cake which should be 207 degrees F.
- Once out of the oven, set the timer for 15 minutes. Gently take a knife around the edges of the bundt cake.
- After 15 minutes, take a knife again around the edges. Using a template or cake board, using both hands flip cake over. Allow to cool before glazing.
- Mix lemon juice with Swerve Confectioner's sweetener. You may add more or less Swerve or lemon juice to get the right consistency. Drizzle over cooled cake. Make sure to cool cake completely before glazing.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo