Are you looking for a special keto cake to take to a gathering, or prepare for a special occasion? People love this keto orange bundt cake. No matter who I make this orange bundt cake for, I get amazing feedback and is the most ordered cake in my keto home bakery.
What Ingredients are used in this grain free keto orange bundt cake?
Whole orange, almond flour, coconut flour, eggs, avocado oil and olive oil are the main ingredients in this cake. You can use all avocado oil or all olive oil. That’s up to you.
Whole oranges are boiled and pureed, which add an amazing orange flavor and moist texture.
This is very much like the one layer orange cake I made a few years ago here,
How to prevent a bundt cake from sticking?
You will love these tips for preventing a bundt cake from sticking.
Tips for Baking in a Bundt Pan
Baking in a bundt pan is perhaps the biggest challenge for a high protein almond-flour based cake. I have a few tips for you and it works PERFECTLY!
- Make a paste. Mix shortening with avocado oil and almond flour and apply thickly inside the pan. Or just use shortening.
- Freeze the pan once the paste is applied. This helps set the paste, so it doesn’t run into a pool of grease.
- After baking, allow to cool for fifteen minutes. This is important.
- Make a cardboard template to slip down onto the cake to hold it in place while you are releasing the cake. This way, the cake won’t suddenly drop! Slide onto your cake pan and leave it there. This is not a perfect cut-out, but it doesn’t have to be.
Why does this recipe have xanthan gum?
Xanthan gum helps stabilize alternative flours, keeping them from falling apart, the job gluten usually does. However, if you have an aversion to xanthan gum, you can leave out. Your cake may not hold together as well, but it will taste great.
What Bundt Pan Should I use?
Almond flour is high in protein and tends to stick more than other cakes. The more simple the design, the better. I like this one from Nordic Ware, made in the USA and has handles.
Here are ALL the items I use in low-carb baking.
How can an Orange Bundt Cake be keto friendly?
I know I will get comments that this cake can’t possibly be keto because there is an orange in the cake, and oranges have a lot of fruit sugar (fructose). An orange has 16 net carbs for the whole cake, as we are also counting the peel and pith adding fiber.
This cake serves 18 and is 3 net carbs. Some people on keto diet will refuse to eat any fruit, even small amounts and I understand that. I do want to add, however, that my husband lost 12 pounds eating this cake every day.
Why I use Swerve as my sweetener.
I use both the granulated and the confectioner’s swerve in this case. Read here all about Swerve, what it is and why I use it.
Two Topping Choices
I like to put both the orange butter topping and a dairy free orange icing glaze on this cake. You can choose one or both.
Most of my customers prefer the orange butter glaze, however the icing glaze is dairy free, if you need that.
Orange Butter Glaze
This glaze is absolutely delicious. Butter, Swerve confectioner’s, pureed orange heated and poured over the cake, adding to the already moist cake. You will love this and it’s easy. However, it’s not the best look. Just for appearance I still like to drizzle some icing made with a squeeze of orange juice (or water) Swerve confectioner’s sweetener and some orange zest.
Dried Orange Peel
When this cake is for a special occasion in the bakery, I dry some orange peel slivers in granulated swerve for decoration.
Nutrition Value for Keto Orange Cake
There are 3 net carbs per slice.
You can make mini orange cakes. Using this orange cake batter recipe here, you can make 12 cupcakes or 12 mini cakes, a one layer cake. This is the little orange cake I sell in my bakery.
More Keto Cakes from Spinach Tiger
Keto Orange Bundt Cake
- Vitamix Blender (Or super blender)
- Cake Dish
Preparation for Bundt Pan
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 1/4 large navel oranges
Wet Ingredient Group
Glaze Icing Option
- 1 cup Swerve Confectioner's Sweetener see notes
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
Orange Butter Topping Option
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup Swerve Confectioner's Sweetener see notes
- 2 tablespoons orange mixture
Prepare Bundt Pan
- Completely cover every nook and cranny of the bundt pan with vegetable shortening Mixture. You can choose just to use vegetable shortening. Both methods work.
- Freeze the pan. Once frozen, you can then move the shortening around into crannies if needed, making sure every little section has shortening.
- Wash Navel orange and trim off the bottom, if necessary.
- Cut into quarters. Put in cold water. Bring to boil for 30 minutes. Drain. Reserve 1/4 cup water.
- Add to Vitamix and pulse until you have a texture of puree, yet with a little bit of zest showing. You may need to add a little water in bottom of blender. Set aside to cool. This can be made up to 3 days ahead and refrigerated.
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees. Keep on bake, not convection bake if oven has that mode.
- You can use a hand mixer or stand mixer to make batter. Add oil and Swerve. Once mixed, add eggs and mix each one at at time for 30 seconds to fully incorporate.
- Add 1 1/4 cups orange mixture to the eggs and mix well. Make sure you have about 1/4 cup reserved for the orange glaze topping.
- Add vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl whisk the remaining dry ingredients. Add to the egg mixture.
- Give the pan one more light spray with baking spray.
- Pour batter into the prepared bundt pan. Smooth out top with offset spatula.
- Bake for approximately 50 to 55 minutes. Test at 50 minutes. Internal temperature should be approximately 207 degrees F, no more than 210. Cover with foil if cake starts to brown too much, at 40 minutes.
How to Remove Cake from Bundt Pan
- Allow cake to cool for 20 minutes. This is important! Gently use an off set spatula or butter knife and go around the edges and middle to make sure cake is released on sides.
- Place a cut out of cardboard (Can use a paper plate with hole cut out, not styrofoam). This helps to hold cake in place when turning over. Place on cake plate.
- If using the orange butter glaze, you apply while cake is warm or at room temperature.
- This cake will stay fresh at room temperature for up to seven days.
- If only using the white icing topping, wait until cake is completely cool.
- You can freeze this cake. Wrap well in plastic wrap. Defrost in refrigerator.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo