Scroll down to the blue box for the low carb pumpkin bundt cake recipe.
Friends, you’re in great luck if you’re looking for delicious low-carb, keto desserts.
I just passed my one -year anniversary running my home keto bakery. This means the recipes here at Spinach Tiger are tested, re-tested and tested again, as I did with this low carb pumpkin bundt cake with a cream cheese swirl.
It’s one thing to post a recipe on a blog, although if you know me, I do take this very seriously. But it’s quite another thing to develop recipes and sell the cakes. It has to taste good and this delivers on taste and texture.
I will give you everything you need to know for keto baking success, including how to release a bundt cake from the pan, which used to be my scariest moment until I figured out the perfect fail-proof technique.
What ingredients do I use for a low carb pumpkin bundt cake?
As usual, I make a combination of blanched almond flour and coconut flour, baking powder, Swerve sweetener, xanthan gum, salt, pumpkin pie spice.
I use a 3/4 cup of pumpkin puree, five eggs and pumpkin pie spice. There is no need to add any other liquid to this. If you want super moist you can use a full cup of pumpkin puree.
How do you make a cream cheese filling?
I use mainly use my wonderful cheesecake recipe and scale it down.
I use 12 ounces of cream cheese (1 1/2 bars) with one extra large egg and 1/3 cup sour cream, sweetened with with 1/2 cup Confectioner’s Swerve. It’s cheesecake in the middle!
Tips for Baking Low Carb Pumpkin Bundt Cake
Baking in a bundt pan is perhaps the biggest challenge for a high protein almond-flour based cake. I have a few tips for you and it works PERFECTLY!
- Use butter to grease pan. Get every crevice.
- Freeze the pan once the paste is applied. This helps set the butter.
- After baking, allow to cool for fifteen minutes. This is important.
- Make a cardboard template to slip down onto the cake to hold it in place while you are releasing the cake. I use a paper plate (not styrofoam). This way, the cake won’t suddenly drop! Slide onto your cake pan and leave it there. This is not a perfect cut-out, but it doesn’t have to be.
- Turn cake over onto cake plate or large parchment. Let it cool completely before applying glaze or frosting.
What Sweetener do I use for keto desserts?
I use Swerve (a powdered erythritol) and I wrote all what Swerve is and why I use it here.
What Pumpkin Puree do I use?
I use Libby’s but you can use any brand.. The important thing is using pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie mix. Some brands are more yellow than deep orange and will affect color (but not taste) of the cake.
Cream Cheese Glaze or Cream Cheese Frosting
The glaze will dry harder and the cream cheese frosting will not. This is your choice.
I like to use a thinner glaze and apply it with a piping bag no piping tip. I snip the tip of the bag taking care to make it small enough to hold. These are my all time favorite piping bags, as they have a texture and are easy to grip.
What is the best pumpkin pie spice?
My favorite brands are Trader Joe’s and Spice Islands.
If you do make your own as I did here, make sure you start with good spices, especially cinnamon, as not all are created equally. I usually use Spice Islands.
Important Baking Notes
- Make sure you blend your cream cheese mixture well. I use a blender.
- Microwave a teaspoon of batter to taste to see if you have enough pumpkin spice flavor.
- Pay strict attention to my tips on removing a bundt cake from the cake pan.
- Once removed, do not touch cake until completely cool.
- Only put 1/3 batter in bundt pan before adding cream cheese mixture.
Option: Low Carb Pumpkin Bundt cake without the cream cheese
If you want to make a simple low carb pumpkin bundt cake, eliminate the cream cheese filling. It’s still a great pumpkin cake by itself. Your cooking time will be less.
How do I know when my bundt cake is done?
This is tricky and I have all the tricks. My rule of thumb is make sure your cake is done by using a meat thermometer. I will take out when the middle reads 205 degrees F., 96 C. A cake is done at 210 and will continue to bake once out of the oven. Pumpkin is moist and there is little worry about a dry cake, but you do’t want an under-cooked cake.
Macros for Cream Cheese Bundt Cake
Net Carbs: 5 Calories: 292 Fat: 22 Protein: 9
What Bundt Pan do I use?
I love the Nordic Ware bundt pans like this one.
More Low Carb Bundt Cakes from Spinach Tiger
Cream Cheese Stuffed Low Carb Pumpkin Bundt Cake
Cream Cheese Filling
Pumpkin Cake Dry Ingredients
Cake Wet Ingredients
- 1/2 cup avocado oil
- 5 eggs room temperature
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Vanilla Glaze
- 4 ounces cream cheese See Notes
- 1 1/2 cups Swerve Confectioner's Sweetener
- 1/4 cup water More if needed
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Prepare bundt pan, by generously buttering with soft butter. Freeze pan.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 180 C.
Cream Cheese Filing
- Put in blender adding eggs, sour cream first.
- Add maple extract if using (or use vanilla extract).
- If cream cheese isn't soft enough, microwave for ten seconds. It can be warm.
- Add cream cheese and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Mix eggs with oil.
- Add pumpkin puree, sour cream, followed by vanilla.
- Mix all dry ingredients in separate bowl. Whisk to make sure all in evenly incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredient to the wet ingredients
- Mix just until incorporated on low. Don't over mix.
- Pour 1/3 of batter into bundt pan. Smooth out with offset spatula.
- Pour cream cheese mixture evenly over batter.
- Top with the rest of the cake batter. Smooth out.
- Bake for 45 minutes until a thermometer measures at least 205 degrees F. Check at 35 minutes. You may need to cover with foil at this point, if edges are browning.
Remove Bundt Cake from Pan
- Set a timer for 15 mins. (More tips in blog post).
- Take a small offset spatula and go around the edges.
- Use cardboard cut out as described in blog post tips. Cover cake with template and turn over. Carefully set on cake plate.
- Allow to cool completely before glazing.
- You can either use a thinner cream cheese glaze below or a thicker cream cheese frosting.
Cream Cheese Glaze
- Warm cream cheese for about 15 seconds in microwave.
- Put confectioner's in separate bowl, add water a little at a time.
- Add cream cheese, vanilla and dash of salt.
- Mix well. You should be able to put glaze in piping bag and clip off small tip of bag and using a quick motion up and down, applying glaze. You can also pour it or use a spoon to apply.
- When applying glaze with a pastry bag, place a cupcake liner in center of bundt cake, which catches extra glaze. You can then remove and use.
- Refrigerate cake for several hours before serving. Keep stored in refrigerator.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo