A few weeks ago I was at a blogger event and one of the gals asked me how can I make those two-ingredient pancakes without sticking? I didn’t even know what she was talking about.
Two ingredient pancakes? Yes, a banana and two eggs.
I was at a loss, but, being the kitchen geek that I am, I had to try it. Shocked. It works. It tastes good. How did I not know this. I googled it. Lots of people know this. After making several batches, I know the secret to getting them right every time.
I set to work to solve her problem of the sticky pancakes. I heated my cast iron griddle, added some Irish butter and made pancakes. They did not stick. I tried different ways of making them, adjusting the heat at various temperatures.
The answer was simple: some fat in the pan, although not too much, and low low heat. The protein in the egg wants to stick, but needs high heat to do that.
Two Ingredient Pancakes are the perfect breakfast for gluten free or grain free diets that miss their pancakes.
They also fit into the low calorie plan at 240 calories for all the eight pancakes.
These two-ingredient pancakes are paleo friendly, and with the paleo plan, feel free to pour on the maple syrup. They also fit a low-carb diet, although some would argue that bananas are high in carbs (27 carbs).
I also discovered you can substitute the banana with two ounces of cream cheese, for a keto. I’ll be showing you that in another post where I make two ingredient grain free crepes.
These two ingredient pancakes are something you can feel good about serving to your kids. You’re giving them protein, and a healthy carb. I like to add bacon when I’m eating this for brunch. This will fill me up all the way to dinner.
If you have any easy recipes like this, please share in the comments.
Just to let you know, I put part of the success on using a very thin spatula, known as a cookie spatula and my seasoned cast iron griddle. These are things that I use all the time.
Tools I used in for the Two Ingredient Pancakes
This Cookie Spatula which is super thin, making flipping easier. (It’s great for cookies too).
You may also be interested in this great southern approved grain fee biscuit.
Two Ingredient Pancake Breakfast Ideas, Low Calorie, Paleo, Grain Free
- 1 tablespoon butter coconut oil or avocado oil for pan
- 1 medium sized banana
- 2 extra large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder optional
- Heat non stick pan or cast iron griddle with small amount of fat. You want to make sure the fat covers the pan with a little bit extra. (about 1 tablespoon)
- Smash bananas in a bowl with a fork.
- Add eggs and mix well together.
- You can use a small blender to get a good mix, but it's not necessary.
- Optionally: you can add 1/4 teaspoon baking powder, dash cinnamon, vanilla.
- Cook on very low heat. it will take about five minutes before you turn. Just be patient, otherwise, they will stick.
- This recipe makes 8 medium sized pancakes, which is enough serving for one or two people.
- Cooking time can be up to 10 minutes.
1/4 teaspoon baking powder will add a little more rise.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo