Southern Fried Corn Cakes Recipe
I never set out to make a Southern fried corn cakes recipe. It was one of those days where I was researching recipes for southern fried corn and corn cakes came up. Intrigued and having plenty of corn on hand, I had to try.
The original recipe from the New York Times was balanced as far as texture, but it lacked flavor. Adding chives, ground red chili pepper, and turmeric, and I had just the right bite.
Use All Purpose flour or Gluten Free Flour along with corn meal for a Fluffy Fried Corn Cakes Recipe
I substituted my go to gluten free flour and it transferred perfectly. This is another gluten free recipe that doesn’t compromise the original. You can, of course, make this with all purpose flour.
Once the corn cakes were done, I started playing around with oven fried eggs and roasted salsa verde. Truth be told, these are so good, they can be eaten solo, and I mean solo. We heated them up and ate them in the car on the way to church. I have to say it was the second best bite of the week right next to my blackberry cake with lemon mascarpone frosting. But nothing beats that. Stay tuned for both recipes.
A corn cake needs to be fluffy by not sluggish. It shouldn’t be greasy or dense like corn bread. It should be the kind of bite that can be eaten on the fork with something else, especially pork.
I always encourage people to grow fresh herbs, even if in all they have is a kitchen window. The chives are perennials and come back with gusto. They are that wonderful go to herb when a dish needs a savory lift and there are no onions in the house. They also make a truly edible garnish.
I will write this recipe with fresh corn from the cob, but you can used drained canned corn or frozen corn. I’m not a snob when it comes to frozen vegetables. We are a generation lucky to have them. However, I used the corn left over from my Southern fried corn recipe, coming soon.
Southern Fried Corn Cakes (Gluten Free)
- 2 cups of corn
- 3/4 cup corn meal I use this brand Order Here
- 1/2 cup flour I used this gluten free brand Order Here
- 2 teaspoons baking powder Order Here
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red chile pepper or dash cayenne pepper
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- oil for frying I used this coconut oil Order Here
- Kitchen Tools
- Cast Iron Griddle Order Here
- 1/4 cup measuring cup
- Mix flours with baking powder, salt, chives, ground chili pepper, turmeric.
- Mix egg into milk.
- Add milk mixture to dry mixture. Add in corn.
- Add oil to griddle. If your cast iron griddle is well season, only put just enough to glisten. Put on low.
- Drop by 1/4 cup onto medium low hot griddle.
- Cook for 2 to 3 minute per side until golden brown.
- Corn cakes can be reheated in microwave or oven.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo