Roasted Salsa Verde
I’ve been eating salsa verde for years, but it took me three times to get it right in my own kitchen. I made it in the oven. I made it raw. Not until I tried the recipe from Rick Bayless, did I have success. He made it so simply.
How to Make Roasted Salsa Verde
Broil tomatillos and serrano peppers for four minutes on each side, cool, process and add white chopped onion and salt. Truly a perfect recipe. I’ve seen lots of recipes adding avocado, cilantro, tomato, lime or garlic or any combination of these. I just happen to like a very, clean, simple salsa verde.
In this recipe, I only used one serrano pepper and at first, I thought it was almost too hot, but when I served it, everyone loved it. The heat is counteracted by the food you serve it on, so tasting it by itself is not a good measure.
What are Tomatillos?
Tomatillos look like green tomatoes wrapped in a skin or husk and are often referred to as a Mexican green tomato, but they come from a different plant and are very tart. Packed with nutrients, I like them for their anti-inflammatory and cancer fighting properties.
Tomatillos are typically cooked into a tart relish that wakes up any taco, and perks up any pork or chicken dish. and are cooked into soups and stews.
I always make salsa verde when I make carnitas.
Roasted Salsa Verde
- 6 to matillos
- 1 serrano pepper
- 1 small white onion diced
- Turn broiler on high.
- Make sure you have a broiler proof baking sheet, not a stone sheet.
- Peel off skin of tomatillos, and wash sticky stuff off.
- Pat dry.
- Trim stem off serrano pepper.
- Put all in oven under the broiler 4 minutes each side.
- Process in food processor. You might have to cut off any parts that are too black.
- Add in about 1/4 cup chopped onion, more if you like.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Salsa will thicken further as it sits.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo
More Mexican Food from Spinach Tiger