Calling all lemon lovers who also love tarts. This is a beautiful combination of tastes and textures. It’s even better with some stabilized whipped cream.
This is seriously lemony dessert that I’ve made with a gluten free crust in the past, and now have decided to go grain free and sugar free. Honestly, it’s just as good and I just served this to some friends at a dinner.
This recipe uses a lot of egg yolks, butter and a little bit of heavy cream along with freshly squeezed lemon juice and lemon zest.
Keto Tart Filling in Bain Marie
The filling is made in a double boiler or Bain Marie. This means cooking in a stainless steel bowl placed over simmering water or a double boiler, so it doesn’t scorch on the bottom. It’s the best way to make curds and custards.
- 7 egg yolks, 2 eggs
- 1 cup Swerve Allulose Blend (or sweetener of choice)
- juice of 4 lemons, lemon zest
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
I used Swerve Allulose Blend. It works so well in curds and custards because it acts more like sugar and will never crystalize. This was my first time using it and I probably will again in certain recipes.
The best kind of pan to use is one with non-stick sides and a removable bottom like this one.
Grain Free, Almond Flour Tart Crust
I’ve served tarts to company made with this almond flour tart crust and they loved it. I’ve even made great quiches with it.
- Removable Bottom Tart Pan either 9 or 10 inches
- 2 cups almond flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons Swerve confectioner’s (or similar)
The lovely thing about the tart crust is just how easy it is to make. It comes together in a few minutes. It is a little bit of a challenge to roll out and must be done between parchment paper.
Tip for Working with Almond Flour Tart Crust
While you can roll out and press tart crust sides in with your hands, I found this tip in the Cook’s Illustrated magazine.
- Roll out into large rectangle and freeze.
- Cut out your bottom only and place into pan with a parchment liner.
- Cut 2 inch wide strips and place inside around the tart pan. You will have to do this in pieces, but it will all come together when baking.
Keto Desserts You May Like from Spinach Tiger
- Keto Lemon Cupcakes with Lemon Cream Cheese
- Keto Naked Lemon Cake
- Keto Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake
- Keto Naked Lemon Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Keto Lemon Blueberry Bundt
- Lemon Torta Bianca
Keto Lemon Tart Recipe,
Keto Lemon Tart
Keto Lemon Tart
- Whisk eggs.
- Set into a stainless bowl that can sit over a pot of simmering water (bain marie).
- Add juice of lemons, lemon zest, salt, sweetener and 4 tablespoons butter.
- Whisk on medium low heat until it reaches 170 degrees, stirring constantly.
- Remove from stove, take through a fine mesh strainer.
- Stir in heavy cream.
- Pour into your pre-baked tart shell (recipe below). If shell is not ready yet, place a piece of plastic wrap over lemon filling.
- Pour lemon filling into pre-baked crust.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes at 350 F (180 C).
- Remove and cool for two hours before refrigeration.
- Garnish small pieces of lemon thyme if you have it. Top with stabilized whipped cream.
Almond Flour Tart Shell
- Mix all dry ingredients together.
- Mix egg with cooled melted butter.
- Mix all together making a dough ball. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Roll out into a large rectangle between parchment paper. Freeze for twenty to thirty minutes.
- You can press dough into the pan with your hands or use the tips below, rolling out and freezing the dough and then cutting it.
- Take out and using the removable bottom cut the circle for the bottom. Cut remaining into two inch wide strips and apply to the sides. The bottom and sides will bake together. This helps provide more even sides.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees F. (180 C).
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo