Mexican chicken avocado pasta is part of the big fat healthy chicken pasta series. See the links below to find easy, family friendly meals that keep you healthy and smiling.
If you’re new here, please understand I really mean it when I say big fat healthy food. It’s Spinach Tiger saying, “take a few minutes out of your busy day to make good food fast and perk up your senses.”
Nothing perks up the senses like food with a Mexican flair.
The corn quinoa gluten free pasta takes the “gluten worry” out. The pico de gallo can be homemade as I did here, or you can just pick some up at the store, as long as it’s freshly made. If you want it hot, go ahead and get it hot. Do be sure to pick up some fresh cilantro, as there is nothing like fresh herbs and cilantro just happens to be an herb with lots of health benefits.
Avocado makes everything better and it’s what gives this pasta dish it “mouth” of creamy, so do splurge on this. Did you know you can peel avocados.
Lime is the acid that brightens the dish and moves the avocado from good to great (along with some sea salt).
I used boneless breasts of chicken, which I marinated so they wouldn’t be dry. I’m not a fan of white meat chicken, but they make sense for this dish. You can substitute boneless, skinless thighs. Thighs have more flavor, but I didn’t discover this until mid adulthood.
Mexican chicken avocado pasta was developed for the busy mom or dad.
You can marinate your chicken in a plastic bag in the morning, pick up the ingredients or already made pico de gallo at the store. While the pasta is cooking, you can have the chicken grilling. You can also sauté the chicken breasts on top of the stove.
You can make Mexican Chicken Pasta your own, by adding more ingredients.
I’ve kept the dish dairy free, but you can add in queso fresco or queso blanco. Try frying this cheese in bite sized pieces and adding it in. You could also add in a can of beans. (Just rinse off in the can, heat and drain first.)
I hope you’re enjoying these Spinach Tiger easy chicken pasta dishes, and please let me know if you make them. You can follow me on instagram. Take a picture, and tag any dish you make with the #spinachtiger hashtag.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ limes
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 cups pico de gallo, recipe below
- queso fresco (optional)
- 8 ounces gluten free pasta
- !Homemade Pico De Gallo found here
- 6 roma tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons red onion, finely chopped (can use white onion or shallots)
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 serrano or jalapeño pepper, seeded, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro for garnish
- heavy dash of salt
- ½ lime for garnish slices
- Whisk olive oil, juice of one lime in bowl. Marinate chicken breasts one to three hours. If you find you're don't have time, just marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- You can pan fry, grill, or bake in oven. For this recipe, I prefer to grill on medium heat for about 5 minutes on each side.
- While chicken is grilling, cook pasta according to package directions. I used a gluten free corn/quinoa rotini pasta which compliments the dish.
- Reserve a cup of pasta water in case you need it.
- When chicken is grilled, allow to sit five minutes
- Slice avocado.
- Toss drained hot pasta with pico de gallo. Add chicken to dish. If pasta seems dry, drizzle in some olive oil and tablespoon or two of pasta water.
- Right before serving, add avocado. Squeeze lime. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add garnish of chopped cilantro.