Keto almond joy cupcakes take me back to childhood. Chocolate, coconut, sliced almonds in a glaze, sugar free is a keto dream for people who like almond joys. This is one of the choices I offer as a special flavor in my keto bakery.
We also offer in-person keto baking classes. You can learn how to make the perfect cake texture or take the bread class.
The keto almond joy cupcake can be made in a typical cupcake liner or in a small tart liner as I do for the bakery. I like this type of liner because it’s easier to eat, share and you get the topping in every bite.
The keto almond joy cupcakes are made first and the glaze is made after the cakes come out of the oven, very similar to my Texas Sheet Cake. Instead of pecans, I use toasted almonds and I add in unsweetened coconut.
I’ve worked hard on this chocolate cake recipe and discovered a few things.
- A combination of almond flour and coconut flour works best.
- Sour cream adds richness.
- Better Body Organic Cacao is one of the best cocoa powders for chocolate flavor.
- Coffee (a shot of espresso) adds flavor.
- Swerve is my favorite sweetener. Find out why here.
- Xanthan Gum helps do the job of binding the cake in lieu of gluten.
Glaze for Keto Almond Joy Cupcakes
The glaze is made on top of the stove and there are a few things that are important to note.
The glaze is made with heavy cream, butter, sweetener and cocoa powder. Do NOT put the butter in the pan first and melt it. I f you do that, it will not come together. Put the cream, sweetener in the pan. Add cocoa powder, stir and then add the butter. As soon as it starts to simmer, add almonds and coconut and pour. You have to pour quickly as the glaze sets up. You can add a little more coconut on top for garnish.
These are so delicious and will take you back to childhood.
Important Tips to Help you Bake Better
- Make sure to spray your cupcake liners.
- Break eggs into separate bowl one at a time before adding to mixer. If you get egg shells, wet finger to remove.
- Don’t open oven before 15 minutes and make sure oven is fully preheated.
- Test a teaspoon of batter in microwave to make sure it tastes the way you like.
- Make this as a sheet pan dessert the way this Texas Sheet Cake was made.
- Use an ice cream scoop to scoop batter into cups.
- Make sure your dry ingredients are thoroughly whisked before adding to wet ingredients.
More Keto Friendly Chocolate Desserts from Spinach Tiger
Keto Sheet Pan Brownies (Triple Chocolate)
Keto Almond Joy Cupcakes
- 230 grams almond flour 2 cups
- 26 grams coconut flour 2 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum (optional, see notes)
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup swerve granulated sweetener
- 1/2 cup avocado oil
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- baking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 f or 180 C.
- Spray cupcake liners with avocado or coconut oil baking spray,
- Mix all dry ingredients, except Swerve, together including sifted cocoa. Set aside.
- Beat eggs in mixer for five minutes.
- Stream in oil.
- Mix milk, coffee and sour cream together. Add to egg mixture.
- Add vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients to these wet ingredients on low mix.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. in cupcake liners 15 to 20 minutes until the center is 210. F. This makes 12 large cupcakes and may make more if cupcake liners are smaller. Large regular cupcake liners teak up to 25 minutes to bake.
- Once out of oven, make topping and pour over warm cake.
- Do not make the glaze topping until the cake is out of the oven.
Chocolate Glaze Topping
- Combine the cocoa, cream, Swerve and butter for the frosting together in a saucepan. Do not put butter in first. Do not melt butter before adding other ingredients or it will separate. Continue stirring.
- Bring to a slow boil.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the salt and vanilla.
- Add two tablespoons of milk if needed. Stir in almonds and coconut.
- Pour over cupcakes. Add more coconut and sliced almonds for garnish, if desired
- These cakes freeze well. Do not need refrigerate before eating. You may even choose to microwave to warm cake, which is also good.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo