We absolutely love this low-carb brownies recipe, so much so, that I have made it several times this month.
Most low-carb chocolate brownies recipes require melted chocolate, but in trying to keep the sugar as low as possible, I wanted to create a recipe that didn’t require melting chocolate and only used unsweetened cocoa powder. This worked incredibly well. They still taste super chocolatey, rich and moist, as long as you use a strong espresso or good strong coffee.
I’m not sure if you need a chocolate fix every day. I don’t. However, when I want chocolate I want it. I need it. I have to have it. I cut these low carb brownies up in little pieces and keep in refrigerator or freezer and always have that chocolate fix ready to go.
I didn’t make these terribly sweet, because I like a dusting of confectioner’s sugar (Swerve, a powdered erythritol) that I order here. A dollop of whipped cream would be nice too.
There are two important secrets to these low-carb brownies.
The secret ingredients are a high quality cocoa powder. I made this with several different unsweetened cocoa powders at various times and I really like the Ghiradelli brand (affiliate). I also like the Valrhona brand
I also used two shots of espresso, but you can use a half cup of strong coffee. Keep in mind both the cocoa powder and the coffee drive the flavors. Don’t skip the coffee. That didn’t test well.
This low carb brownies recipe is made with coconut flour, and is completely grain free, sugar free.
The brownies are not very high, rising only about an inch high. You can choose to make a double recipe if you want a higher, more cake-like brownie.
Play around with this low-carb brownies recipe.
- Serve with raspberries and fresh whipped cream.
- Bake with four ounces of sweetened cream cheese. (We did this, which will probably become a separate recipe).
- Add your favorite nuts.
- Add dark chocolate chips.
- Add a cream cheese frosting, or a chocolate ganache.
- Bake in mini muffin pan for little brownie bites.
- Top with a dark chocolate ganache made with 1 part dark chocolate and 2 parts heavy cream.
Tell me, how would you play around with this low-carb brownies recipe?
More Low-Carb Chocolate Recipes from Spinach Tiger
Low Carb Brownies Recipes, (keto friendly)
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup powdered erythritol plus extra for dusting
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup high quality unsweetend cocoa powder plus extra for dusting
- 2 shots espresso or 1/4 cup strong coffee see notes
- 5 drops Stevia glycerite
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter or coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- Mix coconut flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Place butter, cocoa and erythritol, glycerite in pan with coffee.
- Heat over low until thoroughly mixed.
- Add in eggs and vanilla.
- Add to flour mixture
- Mix by hand.
- Prepare an 8 x 8 brownie pan with parchment paper.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Cool before cutting.
- Garnish with Swerve Confectioner's sugar.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo