As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Would you rather have lemon cake or lemon pie? Well lemon pie, of course, says Mr. Spinach Tiger. But, wouldn’t you rather bite into a cupcake and get that lemon curd surprise? No, I like lemon pie. But, what if it had lemon cream cheese frosting? He looks at me and asks a question he has asked me time and time again.
Why do you ask me; your mind is made up?
Not really, I was waiting to be convinced, but he gave me that look and resigned himself to lemon cupcakes, which by the way, he had no problem eating.
But, if you want to take this lemon curd and turn it into a tart or a pie, do it. I did it all. The same lemon curd became a lemon tart, a lemon yogurt parfait and lemon curd cupcakes. And, if you really love lemon like I do, just eat the curd with a spoon.
For the cupcakes: Use your favorite yellow cake recipe or try this one for a very lemony cake.
Fill cupcakes. I used a shot class to remove the cake. Fill with curd and then return cake. Use just enough frosting to cover the replaced cake. You want the lemon curd to be the best part. Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe can be found here.
For the tart, use this shortbread pastry with or without the coconut, or this sweet pastry. Top with whipped cream or yogurt.
For the parfait, layer vanilla yogurt and lemon curd for the dreamiest breakfast (or dessert).
You can also find a gluten free tart crust here.
- 2 eggs 7 large egg yolks at room temperature
- juice of 4 large lemons
- zest of two lemon
- 1 cups sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons cream see notes
- Start with room temperature eggs. This helps prevent curdling. I had no curdling at all as my eggs were at room temperature for a few hours.
- Place a stainless steel mixing bowl over a pot of simmering water, without the bottom touching.
- Whisk together eggs, lemon juice, zest, sugar, over simmering water,
- Continue to whisk for about 10 minutes or until a wooden spoon is coated, or until you reach 170 degrees.
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer. Whisk in butter. Add heavy cream, whisking to thoroughly incorporate.
- Place plastic wrap touching curd and chill. Cool completely before using, unless using for baked lemon tart.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo