I accidentally made diabetic brownies, which will satisfy many life styles, paleo, gluten free, grain free, sugar free, low carb. However, they are NOT flavor-free! These are amazing! These are Mr. Spinach Tiger (and friends) approved.
There are no scary ingredients in these diabetic brownies.
Don’t let the word diabetic scare you. All it means, is that these are prepared in a way to not spike blood sugar, and that’s food for everyone.
So many people today are struggling with blood sugar issues.
If you love deep flavors like dark chocolate and espresso, you’ll love these diabetic brownies.
Diabetic Brownies, Made with Swerve
I should really all these accidental brownies. I started making one recipe and ventured into new territory, using coconut flour, a lot of espresso and extra dark cocoa powder. I recently began baking with swerve (an erythritol sweetener that is one-to-one sugar). I used it in this diabetic friendly grain-free lemon cake and I nearly ate the whole thing myself.
I used a big shot of espresso so these diabetic brownies would feel decadent.
The espresso flavor brings extra umami. People who don’t usually drink coffee, loved it. If coffee is not your thing, just use hot water instead. I decided after ten minutes of baking to add more chocolate chips to the top. That’s optional. I used the sprinkles to be festive; these were for a party.
These are rich so I cut them into bite sized pieces. You can get about 32 bites out of an 8 x 8 pan. This is a recipe you should make frequently and keep in the freezer for snacks.
Grain Free and Gluten Free are not the same thing. These Diabetic Brownies are Grain Free.
Grain free is gluten free, but gluten free is not necessarily grain free. Gluten free flours are typically made with rice (grains). When I say grain free, the ingredient is most likely coconut flour, almond flour, cassava flour, or a combination. If you’re watching your blood sugar or following a low carb diet, you’re going to want grain-free baked goods.
Make Dairy Free by switching butter with coconut oil.
Spinach Tiger is making a lot big fat healthy desserts. Stay tuned for more, as I adapt some of my most popular dessert recipes to a healthier profile. If there are any desserts you’d like to see diabetic friendly like these diabetic brownies, let me know in the comments. I love hearing from you.
Also, take a took at my instagram feed at the bottom and be sure to follow my big fat healthy food.
Dark Chocolate Coconut Flour Brownies, Sugar Free
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter or coconut oil for dairy free option
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate unsweetened cocoa powder see notes
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 1/2 cup dark roasted coffee or double espresso shot
- 3/4 cups Swerve erythritol Order Here
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 ounces dark chocolate 70% or dark chocolate chips Order Here
- 1 ounce dark chocolate chips optional for topping
- Sprinkles optional
- Kitchen Tools
- 8 x 8 Baking Dish I like this from OXOwhich comes with a lid, goes freezer to over
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, salt.
- Melt butter in saucepan.
- Add cocoa powder. It's easier if you sift cocoa powder right into the melted butter in saucepan.
- Mix in until well incorporated.
- Cool for a few minutes.
- Whisk in eggs, one at a time.
- Add in swerve, vanilla, coffee.
- Gently mix together.
- Add chopped dark chocolate or chocolate chips.
- Bake for thirty minutes at 350. After 10 minutes, add chocolate chip, by sprinkling over the top.
- You can also add sprinkles at this point. Continue to bake until finished cooking time or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo