This post contains Amazon Affilate links which earn a small commission, but do not affect price.
Torta Caprese, was created in the Island of Capri, Italy.
Torta Caprese, as the story goes, was created in the Island of Capri, Italy when the baker made a mistake. The mistake cake was applauded and a star dessert was born. Some say the cake was for the mafia. Some say it was made for the tourists. I’m making it for you, because it’s a big fat healthy recipe that you need to make if you love chocolate like I do.
I’m Italian, yet I had never heard of Torta Caprese, until I watched the Topless Baker make this. If you don’t know who he is, he’s a baking youtube phenomenon who is so much fun to watch. He wears pants, an apron and no shirt, thus topless, but don’t let his wit fool you. He can bake!
I made one important change to his recipe, making it nearly sugar free, switching out swerve for the sugar. You can certainly use sugar, but I wanted to make this as low carb as possible.
I was intrigued by this recipe because it’s just naturally gluten free (made with almond flour) and centers around my favorite ingredient, chocolate.
Swerve is an erythritol blend that the health gurus seem to approve of.
- It’s a one to one substitute.
- It does not spike blood sugar.
- It does not cause stomach distress.
- Swerve comes in two varieties. Granulated (which I used for the cake) and Confectioner’s, which I used for the top. It’s a one for one measurement.
I would caution not to eat a lot of this. Moderation is everything. It’s the perfect answer for those eating low carb, or diabetic friendly.
How Does Torta Caprese Cake Taste?
I’ve already served it to several friends with big thumbs up. It’s a little addicting and not too sweet. Since I no longer eat gluten or many grains, I need something to grab and satisfy my sweet tooth at night. My two go to’s are this chocolate almond flour Torta Caprese and these grain-free, dark chocolate brownies.
I’ll let you in on a little secret. I’ve lost weight eating these desserts. Then again, I don’t eat too much in the way of the gluten free breads on the market. My diet is mostly paleo, lots of meat and veggies, but a girl has to have her chocolate and I’m sure you’ll agree.
After looking at the many variations of Torta Caprese on instagram, I realized they all had one thing in common. All the cakes were decorated confectioner’s sugar, often in a fun design.
You can add fruit such as raspberries or a chocolate syrup. For Easter, I added coconut. You don’t need a glaze. Just put the coconut on top. Keep wrapped and refrigerated. (How to color coconut recipe here.)
Try these amazing Keto Friendly Desserts from Spinach Tiger
Torta Caprese, Italian Chocolate Almond Flour Cake, Low Carb
- I usually beat my egg whites first, transfer them to a cold bowl, and then clean my mixer and start the recipe. Otherwise, if you being in your mixer, you will have to transfer the chocolate mixture to a bowl. Having the egg whites ready makes it easier.
- Melt chocolate in double boiler. I usually put a stainless bowl over a saucepan that has 1 inch of water and put water on simmer. You can also microwave the chocolate.
- Beat Butter and half of the sugar together until fluffy.
- Add egg yolks.
- Add the melted chocolate.
- Add vanilla.
- Add the ground almond meal.
- Whip egg whites until stiff with the rest of the sugar (swerve).
- Fold in the egg whites.
- Bake at 165 C or 325 F for 50 minutes.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo