Disclosure: this site includes Amazon affiliate links which earn a small commission, but do not increase price.
Inspired by Jeni’s Wild Berry Lavender ice cream, I created this lavender blueberry ice cream recipe, which is free from sugar, corn syrup and corn starch (ingredients in Jeni’s original recipe) in my efforts to make it keto friendly and sugar free. It’s still creamy and delicious with a rich blueberry taste, a hint of lavender and a small hint of orange.
Although I skipped the corn starch and corn syrup to keep this sugar and grain free, the ice cream still churned beautifully, making that creamy Philly style type ice cream Jeni’s Ice Cream is so famous for.
I replaced the sugar with Swerve and stevia glycerite, used Nature’s Way wild blueberries, Nielsen Massey’s Orange extract, and Lavender Essential Oil. Be very cautious with lavender oil. One drop was all I needed, even if her original recipe says two drops.
Lavender Blueberry Ice Cream Recipe is Philly Style
Her ice creams are made Philly style which means cream cheese based and not custard based (using eggs). I like this style a lot. It tastes fresher, cleaner to me and is incredibly creamy. There is xanthan gum in cream cheese which helps to hold the ice cream together.
As she says in her book, her recipes are flavor driven as much as they are about consistency and texture. The first thing people are usually attracted to are her unique flavors; but they leave talking about how well balanced the ice cream is.
Make this Sugar Free, for a Lavender Blueberry Ice Cream Recipe that is Keto Friendly
I am so happy to have my very own sugar-free version that doesn’t feel like a compromise. This lavender blueberry ice cream high in fat, and I’m not going to lie about that, but it’s low in carbs and a keto friendly ice cream. I’ve put it in small jars that I can freeze for portioned out servings.
You could play with this recipe by using different berries, or skipping the lavender and orange. I use this ice cream machine.
Most Popular Keto/Low Carb Desserts
Wild Berry Lavender Ice Cream (Keto Friendly) Sugar Free
- 1 cup wild blueberries see notes
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons swerve
- 4 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 1/8 th teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum Order xanthan gum here.
- 1 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 whole cups milk I use lower carb Fairlife
- 1/2 cup Granulated Swerve Order Swerve Here
- 10 drops teaspoons stevia glycerite if using swerve
- 1 drop Lavender Essential Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Orange Extract Order Here
- Make a blueberry compote by bringing the blueberries, 1/4 cup water and two tablespoons granulated swerve to a boil.
- Simmer for a few minutes.
- Another option is to put frozen blueberries in Vitamix, when you're ready to mix the milk, cream and cream cheese and not use compote.
- Mix two tablespoons milk with cream cheese, salt, xanthan gum until well-incorporated. I use a blender.
- Heat 1/14 heavy cream, remaining milk, 1/2 cup granulated swerve until you reach a boil. Reduce heat, continue to boil for 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat, pour into cream cheese mixture.
- At this time, add either blueberry compote or frozen blueberries.
- I like to use a Vitamix and mix the berries completely to have a smooth mixture.
- Put in a stainless bowl over a big bowl of ice to bring an immediate chill. If you put in a plastic bag, the ice cream will get cold enough to churn right away.
- You can also refrigerate overnight.
- Take through ice cream machine for about twenty minutes..
- The ice cream will will take form, but still be a little soft.
- Pack in container with parchment or plastic wrap pressed against it and freeze for four hours.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo