Spaghetti Squash and Shrimp Recipe Process
I want you to know that you do not have to slave over the stove, making a long sauce to have an Italian dinner. Sometimes, the best meals are those that are made in under 30 minutes. Shrimp is made in a few minutes and aside from chopping the onions, carrot and celery, there is not much to do.
The only thing that takes time is roasting the spaghetti squash. My method is a bit unique, as I steam/roast it.
Spaghetti Squash Steam Roast
Cut off the ends. Cut length wise (for longer strands) or cross-wise, using a sawing motion. Put cut side down into a baking dish that has about 2 inches of water. Bake at 400 degrees, until the skin yields 30-40 minutes.
In the meantime, make the soffrito, which is basically chopped onions, carrots and celery, sautéed until softened and used as a base. Add your tomatoes, and any herbs you like such as basil or parsley, and continue to cook on low. Sauté shrimp for a few minutes, add to your tomatoes, throw in a few olives, and serve over the squash. Enjoy a healthy, easy, meal that tastes expensive.
Spaghetti Squash with Shrimp
- 1 bag frozen shrimp
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 celery stick diced
- 1 large can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley or basil
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut cross wise, using a sawing motion.
- Put into a dutch oven or baking dish with 2-3 inches of water.
- Roast/Steam for 30-40 minutes.
- Prepare sauce and shrimp.
- Defrost shrimp by placing entire bag into a bowl of cold water. This takes about 10 minutes.
- While spaghetti squash is roasting, make sauce.
- Saute in a tablespoon of olive oil onion, carrots, celery on low until softened, not browned.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add can of tomatoes including the juice.
- Cook on low until it is no longer watery.
- Peel shrimp and saute in separate pan just until cooked on each side. Shrimp will turn pink and this takes a minute or two.
- Put shrimp into the sauce and continue cooking on low, while preparing the squash.
- Once the squash is cool enough to handle, scoop out center seeds of squash.
- Scoop out squash into spaghetti strands.
- Toss spaghetti squash with remaining olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Serve shrimp and tomatoes over the spaghetti squash.
- Garnish with herbs and red pepper flakes.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo