Raw onions made me cry in childhood. It’s not what you think.
I wasn’t peeling them or cutting them. I was being tricked to eat them.
I hated raw onion in salad and everyone knew it. Before I would stab the lettuce with my fork, I would look up and say, “is there onion?” and everyone lied. But one bite and I knew and I would cry. I cried because I hated it. I cried because they tried to trick me. Now, I’m tricking you into thinking a Greek Salad doesn’t have to have iceberg lettuce. You can play around and use these Super Spinach Greens, or kale or anything you like.
You also won’t see any onion in this salad, but feel free to add red onion. Just don’t eat it near me. I can’t even look at someone eating raw onions in a salad. We all have our food things, don’t we?
I grew up eating Greek salad in the many Greek owned restaurants in Pennsylvania. My favorite version came from Zorba’s. It had lots of feta cheese, Greek olives and lemony dressing. This is not that salad, but it’s inspired by it and it is that lemony dressing.
I replaced the feta cheese with chopped fennel, but feel free to put that feta cheese right back in. I don’t blame you one bit. Feta is one of my favorites. Just buy a whole marinated block of sheep’s feta, not the already crumbled tasteless kind. If you’re going to eat cheese, eat good cheese.
I threw a pan fried piece of salmon which loves that lemony dressing and I gave you plenty of olives.
The greens in this salad are something very unique. This is called Super Spinach by Organic Girl. It’s baby spinach, bok choy and baby kale. I saw it a Whole Food’s on sale and any word with “super” intrigues me. What’s nice about this set of greens is that it takes a dressing very well. In other words, you don’t need a lot of dressing, so use sparingly at first.
Super Spinach Greek Salad with Salmon and Lemony Dressing
- 1 package super spinach salad by Organic Girl or 4 large handfuls of any Spinach Greens
- 2 pieces of salmon 6 ounces each, approx.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 to mato cut into one inch pieces or cubed
- 1/4 cup diced fresh fennel or feta cheese
- kalamata olives
- red onion optional
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano or 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
Lemon Garlic Vinaigrette
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 lemon for juice
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Heat olive oil in small frying pan on medium heat.
- Oil is ready when a drop of water sizzles.
- Place salmon in pan skin side up.
- Cook for 5 minutes or until the salmon easily moves in pan.
- Turn over and cook for 2-3 minutes until skin is crispy.
- Toss greens with just enough dressing to coat.
- Top with tomatoes, fennel, olives (and optional feta cheese and onion).
- Top with salmon.
Lemon Vinaigrette Instructions
- Mix mustard with vinegar until incorporated.
- Add lemon juice.
- Add olive oil until emulsified.
- Season salad with salt and pepper, oregano.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo