These are the only buttercream frostings you will ever need. These are successful frosting recipes I use in Spinach Tiger Keto Bakery.
What is the Best Way to Make Keto Buttercream Frostings?
In literally making hundreds of bowls of keto buttercream, here’s what I have found to be the best rule of thumb.
- The more butter you use, the less Swerve you will need. In other words, when I am using 3 cups of butter, I will reduce the swerve to 2 1/2 cups. This is where tasting comes in. You can always add more Swerve, but not take away.
- Ratio for buttercream is 1/2 cup butter to 1/2 cup (Swerve) Confectioner’s Sweetener. This is a lot less confectioner’s sweetener than Swerve recommends, and less than what a traditional (real sugar confectioner’s sweetener) uses.
- Add in 1 to tablespoons of cream cheese (if you have it) to each cup of frosting. You don’t have to do this, but it does help the texture.
- Make sure your butter is soft enough to beat for a good five minutes, but not so soft that it becomes too soupy. 68 degrees F. works well.
- If adding in cream cheese, beat it first before adding to butter. You don’t want small little particles of cream cheese floating in the butter. They will need to be the same temperature in order to be incorporated.
- Taste along the way. If you have already added so much sweetener that it’s too sweet, add more butter or more cream cheese.
- When making peanut butter frosting, use less sweetener. You can always add more if needed.
- Add salt. Salt helps balance out sweetness and can even help bring out the sweetness. Before adding more sweetener, add salt.
- Add heavy cream or milk at room temperature if your buttercream in too thick to pipe.
Keto Vanilla Buttercream
Keto Vanilla Buttercream – Vanilla frosting is classic. Once you are able to make a smooth and creamy sugar free vanilla buttercream, you can make any flavor, using extracts and flavorings.
Keto Cream Cheese Frosting – You must have a keto cream cheese frosting for delicious pumpkin, carrot and red velvet cakes. You will find the perfect recipe at the carrot cake recipe.
Keto Chocolate Frosting – This is a dreamy chocolate lover’s frosting. How delicious is chocolate cake with chocolate frosting?
Keto Peanut Butter Frosting – This frosting on chocolate cake sells so well in my keto bakery. Put this on your favorite chocolate cake.
Keto Peppermint Frosting – We bring this out at Christmas time. People LOVE it. Make it anytime! All you need to do is add in a peppermint oil or extract very little at a time to your perfect buttercream.
Keto Strawberry Frosting – A springtime favorite, it’s pretty and there are some important tips to make sure you can pipe it. I use half and half cream cheese to butter, because strawberries are 92% water and the viscosity of cream cheese helps to keep the frosting from being too runny.
Keto Chocolate Ganache – A fan favorite, this is great when you’re wanting that super chocolatey topping and it’s done in mere minutes on top of the stove with Choc Zero chocolate chips and heavy cream. You can make this dairy free also by replacing heavy cream with coconut milk.
Bonus Keto Friendly Toppings
Tools You Need for Making the Best Keto Buttercream Frosting
Hand Mixer- Instead of using my large Kitchen Aid Mixer, I use a hand mixer. Why? It mixes the butter in a better way. You can use your big mixer if you don’t have a hand mixer, but that’s my preference.
Piping Bags – I use these disposable bags which have some texture to them.
Piping Tips – You don’t have to use fancy piping tips, but at least use the large round tip for the in between layers. To make the roses, I use a 1 M.
Offset Spatula – I use both the large and small spatulas to smooth frosting out.
Please PIN and come back to make your best keto cake!