Satisfy that peanut butter craving with this delicious keto chocolate peanut butter cake with a smooth, creamy, sugar-free peanut butter frosting. This cake is keto friendly and gluten free!
I’ve browsed the popular similar recipes and I can tell you this is the recipe to make. I know my keto cake, as I have a successful home keto bakery. My recipes have to work consistently, and they do.
There are two ways to make this recipe for chocolate cake with sugar free peanut butter frosting.
- Dozen cupcakes
- Triple layer 6 inch cake
- Double layer 8 inch cake
If you want to freeze, make 12 cupcakes. If you’re celebrating, make the double layer 8 inch cake or triple layer 6 inch cake, enough for 8 to 10 pieces.
I can guarantee that this chocolate cake recipe is the best chocolate keto cake recipe around, as I’ve probably sold 1000 chocolate cupcakes from my home keto bakery in the last year.
Keto Peanut Butter Frosting
Peanut butter frosting is very popular in my keto home bakery.
The peanut butter frosting is light, fluffy and so good. Mixing together smooth peanut butter, butter and Swerve confectioner’s sugar, we have the best keto chocolate cake with a keto peanut butter frosting you could have.
The key to mixing the peanut butter is to warm it up a bit in the microwave (not hot, just warm) and adding to buttercream. This will yield a very fluffy, sugar-free peanut butter frosting.
I like using a smooth peanut butter that does not have added sugar, such as Maranatha, but any sugar free brand will work. If you use a natural brand that has to be stirred, make sure it’s incorporated and warm up a bit to soften.
Use Swerve Confectioner’s Sweetener
You can read here why I love this brand of powdered erythritol for sugar free and keto baking. You can use other sweeteners such as Lakanto, which also contains monk fruit. It’s a matter of choice.
Keto Celebration Cakes
The bakery now offers six inch, triple layer celebration cakes. Chocolate with peanut butter frosting is one of the popular flavors. Keep the cake as a naked cake. No need to frost sides. You will be putting plenty of frosting on three layers. You can also make this as double layer 8 inch cake.
How to make a chocolate cake grain free and gluten free
Keto Chocolate Cake is my speciality. I think I’ve developed just the right mix of everything. When you have a bakery and bake a recipe over and over and over, you tweak and perfect. We tweaked this one a lot, because we had to find the right cocoa powder.
Almond Flour – This is the key component in a keto friendly cake. Use blanched.
Coconut Flour – Adds moisture to the texture, and absorbs liquid more easily.
Eggs – Eggs act as a binder and give body to the cake. I use six large eggs for this purpose.
Avocado oil – This is my preferred fat for the cake. Oil is better for most of my cake recipes. The cake will rise more and not harden in the refrigerator.
Baking Powder – Baking Soda – These leaven cake.
Salt – I use a fine sea salt.
Cacao – We use Better Body Foods Cacao, because not only is it healthy, it has a great depth of flavor.
Coffee – The coffee is important. Don’t substitute with espresso powder. If you must substitute, use a liquid such as almond milk, but you won’t have that rich taste. I use Counter Culture 46 coffee beans and brew an espresso shot. I suggest a good, strong coffee if you don’t do espresso.
Sour Cream – Use full fat sour cream and avocado oil. You can use unsalted butter instead of avocado oil with equal results. Avocado oil does help the cake rise a little more, but both yield a great cake.
Xanthan Gum – Some people write me about the xanthan gum. Can you leave it out? Yes, you can. I include it, as it keeps the cake together. If you’re going to be doing a lot of keto baking, it’s worth the investment.
Find my chocolate cake recipe here.
Use keto peanut butter frosting inside grain free whoopie pies.
Nutrition Macros for Peanut Butter Frosting
Keto Peanut Butter Frosting 1 of 14 servings: Calories: 196 Net Carb: 1 Fat: 20 g
Chocolate Cake (no frosting) 1 of 12 servings: Calories: 178 Net Carb: 2 Fat: 15
More Keto Frostings from Spinach Tiger
Sugar free Keto Peanut Butter Frosting
Peanut Butter Frosting Ingredients
Chocolate Cake Dry Ingredients
- 240 grams almond flour 2 1/2 cups
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup Swerve Granulated
Cake Wet Ingredients
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup avocado oil
- 1/3 cup coffee
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 4 tablespoons sour cream 60 grams
- The key to this frosting is beating the butter for five full minutes.
- Once the butter is whipped, add the cream cheese.
- Add the vanilla paste. If I want a serious vanilla taste, I'll add more vanilla paste.
- Add salt.
- Add heavy cream, if needed. If you are going to pipe scoop out with large spoon, hold sideways over bowl. Frosting should plop back into bowl in about a second or two. If it doesn't you will need to add a little heavy cream.
- Refrigerate or freeze until ready to use. If you take out from refrigerator, give it a chance to come down to room temperature. You may want to use your mixer to remix.
Keto Chocolate Cake
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. convection oven or 350 F. regular oven (180 C.)
- Prepare cupcake liners with baking spray.Prepare Cake pans with parchment paper and butter or cooking spray.
Cake Dry Instructions
- Mix all dry ingredients together, including the Swerve (powdered erythritol). Set aside.
Cake Wet Instructions
- Mix eggs in mixer (or with hand mixer) until thoroughly mixed well on medium high speed.
- Stream in oil slowly while continuing to mix.
- Mix sour cream with milk with a fork. Add to wet ingredients.
- Mix in coffee and vanilla.
- Turning the mixer to low, add dry ingredients just until mixed. Finish folding in with spatula. You don't want to over-mix. Pour into prepared pans or cupcake liners.
- Bake cupcakes 20 to 25 minutes. Cupcakes are done when the internal temperature is 205 F.
- Bake an 8 inch layer cake 25 to 30 minutes. Cake is done at 210 degree. F.
- Bake three six-inch layer cakes 23 to 26 minutes. Cakes are done at 210 degrees. F.
- You can actually hear when your cake it done. If it's crackling it's still cooking off moisture.
- Cool cakes before frosting.
- If you decide to use a piping bag, make sure frosting is soft enough. If it's not moving through the bag easily, add a little hot water or milk a tablespoon at a time. I use a 1M piping tip.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo