Everyone everywhere loves chicken soup, but there’s so many ways to make it. See all the ways I’ve made it below.
This is my slow cooker, whole chicken, Paleo Version, with options.
You can add or subtract ingredients, as long as chicken and broth remain.
I added pastina for the boys. I subtracted for me.
I tried to keep the kale in for everyone, which was iffy, but chicken, broth and carrots made everyone happy.
This is a homemade, slow cooker chicken soup that pushes aside many concerns.
It hardly takes any active cooking time.
It is forgiving and easy.
It will be okay for those who want to remain Paleo or Grain Free, while affording the option of adding in your favorite noodles.
It can be light.
It can be hearty.
It’s always healthy.
It’s comfort and healing.
The Homemade Chicken Soup Process
Buy a small whole chicken. Rinse well. Chop roughly some onions, carrots and celery (which will be removed).
Put into a crock pot with cold water. Turn on the slow cooker. High, if you’re going to be home, low if you’re not.
Once the chicken is cooked through, remove it, and remove all the vegetables. If you’re home, gently remove any scum off the top.
Allow it to cool. Remove chicken from bones. Set aside (in refrigerator if it will be more than an hour until you eat). Put the bones back in and cook for as long as you have.
Chop some onions, celery and carrots and saute in butter. These go into your soup.
Clean and chop kale, the way I did for this kale salad.
Cook your favorite noodles in a separate pan and keep them in a bowl to add to those who want it. If you all want noodles, my favorite choice is pastina (little stars).
Add sauteéd vegetables, kale and chopped chicken back to the broth. Heat through, allow kale to melt down about 20 minutes. Serve. My aunt never put chicken back into her soup. She served boiled chicken on the side with salad or made chicken salad to go with the soup. Make it as you like it.
I hope this soups warms your soul as much as it did this week, helping nurse a sick child, and making my kitchen feel like love.
What dish means love to you?
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 large onion
- 2 ribs celery
- 3 carrots
- 1 bunch kale
- pastina (optional)
- This is a crockpot recipe, but doesn't have to be. You can use a cast iron dutch oven or large pot and cook stove top on low.
- Clean and rinse whole chicken.
- Chop onion in four pieces.
- Cut ½ onion and celery into large pieces.(these will be removed later).
- Add vegetables and chicken in crock pot with cold water.
- Set to low.
- As you see scum come to top, remove, but if you aren't around, don't worry about it. Remove it later.
- An option would be to do this in first hour, and let allow on low until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken when it's cooked through. Cool chicken. Remove chicken from bones and put bones back into the broth to further the health benefits. This is optional.
- Dice onions, celery, carrots to bite sized pieced.
- Saute in butter until soft (about 10 minutes)
- Clean, chop kale (remove ribs).
- Add kale to soup at least 20 minutes before serving to melt it down.
- Add chicken, vegetables.
- As an option, add cooked noodles or pastina. Or serve them on the side.
More Paleo Comfort Food
More Chicken Soup