Healthy Lettuce Wraps with Ground Chicken and an easy dipping sauce will give you all the feels of the lettuce wraps you usually order when dining out.
You can use ground chicken or ground turkey, because it’s the seasonings and the sauce that is going to drive flavor. Make sure to use butter lettuce, if possible, as the perfect carrier.
The sauce is made ahead as the meat will be cooked in half of it. The rest of it will be used as a dipping sauce.
Don’t let the amount of ingredients for ground chicken lettuce wraps throw you. Most of these you will probably already have in your pantry.
Ground Chicken Lettuce Wraps Ingredients
- ground chicken (or turkey)
- water chestnuts
- oil for browning
- butter lettuce
- sesame seeds
- dipping sauce (use half of below)
Almost all dipping sauces for lettuce wraps contain hoisin sauce. To keep this healthy and low carb friendly, I used the main ingredients of hoisin sauce such as peanut butter, garlic, black strap molasses (instead of molasses) rice vinegar and sesame oil. and added
Although there is peanut butter in the sauce, it’s not really a peanut sauce. A tablespoon of peanut butter just gives it a subtle flavor and some texture. Feel free to add more if you like. Please add or sub according to your own taste.
- avocado oil
- sesame oil
- fresh ginger
- peanut butter
- lime (juice)
- Tamari Sauce (or soy sauce)
- Sriacha or red chili flakes
- black strap molasses
Macros for Ground Chicken Lettuce Wraps
10 Servings: Per Lettuce Wrap: 172 Calories 4 Net Carbs 13 g Fat 10 g Protein
Healthy Ground Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 carrot shredded (optional)
- 1/2 recipe of sauce below
- 1 cup water chestnuts drained, chopped
- 10 leaves butter lettuce
- 3 scallions garnish
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds for garnish
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar or apple cider
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 6 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger grated
- 1 teaspoon sriracha or chili sauce
- 4 tablespoons Tamari or soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon black strap molasses optional
- Make sauce below. Set Aside.
- Add oil to large frying pan.
- Add chopped onion. Cook until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add minced garlic. Stir in. Cool about one minute.
- Add in ground chicken, breaking up with wooden spoon.
- Once cooked, add in carrots, 1/2 of sauce. Stir continue cooking a few minutes.
- Add in chopped water chestnuts.
- Taste for seasoning. Add in sriacha, salt, pepper.
- Arrange lettuce in platter. Add ground chicken mixture. Garnish with sliced scallion, and sesame seeds. Pour sauce over meat. Enjoy.
- Add all ingredients together. Taste to your liking. You CAN add another tablespoon of peanut butter if you desire.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo