Roast beef often found its way to the table on Sundays in my childhood and I’ll always crave it as soon as cold weather hits. This slow cooker chuck roast recipe is so easy that I was able to make this when I was rushing around the kitchen finishing Thanksgiving keto bakery orders. It was fork tender and full of flavor. I made a quick low-carb, grain free gravy at the end and enjoyed delicious keto friendly, low carb comfort food.
I had my heart set on a real pot roast sandwich made with my keto grain free rolls. Putting a pot roast recipe in a slow cooker was an easy thing to do and took a few minutes of preparation.
My rolls were in the freezer and all I needed was a fork tender pot roast.
What Cut of Meat is Best for a Slow Cooker Pot Roast?
I like chuck roast, which comes the front shoulder portion of the cow. There is a lot of connective tissue which will break down during the low, slow braising and the collagen rich gelatin will be released into the broth. Cook slow and low and the meat will become fork tender.
Chuck Roast vs. Rump Roast
While chuck roast comes from the front part of the cow, rump roast comes from the hind quarters. Both have a lot of connective tissue and require long, slow braising. You could use this same recipe for a rump roast.
How to Prepare Chuck Roast for a Slow Cooker
Preparation is easy. Take out meat and allow to sit for 30 minutes. In meantime assemble and prepare your ingredients.
- Chuck Roast
- Beef Broth
- Red Wine (optional)
- Fresh Thyme (or dried)
You will have to brown the roast which takes mere minutes. That’s the only active cooking necessary.
Cook slow and low and the meat will become fork tender. You will want to cook it long enough to be able to pull it apart with forks and not use a knife. If your meat is not fork tender, put the lid back on and continue to cook.
I like a chuck roast for flavor and make more than I need, as it freezes well and you can make more meals as illustrated in this post on left over roast beef recipes.
What to Serve with Slow Cooker Chuck Roast?
You can turn the broth into a gravy with these thickeners:
- Xanthan Gum Gel (gluten free, keto option) Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of gel recipe to broth.
- Flour or Corn Starch (mix 2 tablespoons flour with 1/4 cold water). Make a slurry. Add to broth.
What can you do with Leftover Roast Beef?
Similar Slow Cooker Recipes
I have a lot of wonderful recommendations for your kitchen (the things I have in my own kitchen). As an affiliate, I make a small commission, but your price is not increased.
Pot Roast in Slow Cooker
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 pound chuck roast
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt more for seasoning at end
- 1 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground more for seasoning at end
- 1 medium onion slivered
- 3 carrots or handful baby carrots
- 2 cups or more of beef stock
- 1 cup dry red wine optional
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce if not using wine
- 2 bay leafs
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
No Starch Gravy
- 2 cups meat broth
- 2 tablespoons xantham gum gel
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
Xanthan Gum Gel
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 tablespoon xanthan gum
- If possible, take meat out 30 minutes in advance to bring up the temperature before browning.
- Add oil to frying pan that will fit the roast. Sautè garlic cloves just until golden. Remove garlic.
- In same frying pan, brown the roast on both sides.
- Slice the onions length-wise. Either use baby carrots or slice large pieces of carrot. Keep them in large chunks, as both will be removed at end of cooking.
- Place vegetables in bottom of the slow cooker.
- Place the meat on top of the vegetables in the slow cooker.
- Add the broth, and wine and make sure it comes up 3/4 of the way. If you are not using wine, add 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce. If you will not be available to turn the meat, halfway through, add more broth or water to cover completely.
- Cook at least 6 hours on medium In slow cooker, turning the meat at least once midway.
No Starch Gravy
- Remove meat to a platter and cover with foil to keep warm. Reserve a cup of the juice.
- Strain the broth the meat has cooked in.
- Put the broth Into a saucepan. Heat broth on medium heat.
- Add In cold butter. Whisk rapidly until butter Is incorporated.
- Add in xanthan gum gel or flour slurry if using that, and continue to whisk until gravy is thickened.
Xanthan Gum Gel
- Put water into blender. Add xanthan gum. Blend for five minutes.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo