I don’t usually have the need to make mug cake, since I have a keto home bakery and we always have chocolate lala cupcakes on hand in the freezer. However, sometimes I sell out and want just want a few bites of yummy keto chocolate mug cake.
That’s why I keep a few bags of single serving chocolate cake ingredients on hand. I suggest you do the same, if you’re not interested in making a whole dozen at any one time.
Low Carb Chocolate Mug Cakes Tested Several Times
How I Developed this Recipe
One day last year my assistant and I made several different versions, taking notes, and tasting. We were scribbling, switching out ingredients, changing heating times. Reducing the fat from one tablespoon to two teaspoons made the difference! I also prefer using avocado or olive oil instead of butter, as the cake will be more moist and it’s also easier.
We tried to make an almond flour only cake, but for that, one teaspoon of coconut flour made a difference. What we really liked was adding a sprinkling of choc zero sugar free chocolate chips on top. It needed to be moist, chocolatey and low in carbs.
What is a Mug Cake?
It’s a single serving cake made in a mug, small bowl, or ramekin in the microwave (or oven). It can be grain free (like this one made with almond flour), sugar free (I’m using Swerve), and can be made keto friendly.
Can you Bake a Mug Cake in Oven Vs. the Microwave?
The answer is a resounding yes. The thing is people typically make a mug cake on the fly satisfying a chocolate craving and want to stick it in the microwave for 60 seconds. However, if you have 14 more minutes to stick it in the oven, it’s a little better.
I tested both ways by make a double batter and dividing between two large ramekins. I baked for 15 minutes at 350 degrees F (180 C). Baked cake will always be better than microwaved cake. Both were good. Both were just slightly denser than a sponge cake but not quite like a brownie cake. I am insistent on only using 1/2 of an egg because otherwise I think the cake is too eggy.
How Can I Top a Low Carb Chocolate Mug Cake?
There are several easy ways to top this cake:
- Sprinkling of Sugar Free Confectioner’s (Swerve)
- Whipped Cream
- Whipped Cream with Berries
- Fast Ganache: Heat 1/4 cup heavy cream with 2 tablespoons sugar free chocolate chips for ganache or make this recipe and keep in fridge for up to two weeks. Can also be frozen.
- Sugar Free Chocolate Syrup from Choc Zero
Make Small Baggies for Low Carb Chocolate Mug Cake Mix
If you’re not up to baking a dozen cakes, but you still want a treat when you want a treat, make up a few baggies of the chocolate mug cake base.
Please don’t be overwhelmed by the list of ingredients below. If you make baggies of the dry ingredients, it’s easy to
Ingredients for Low Carb Chocolate Mug Cake (60 seconds)
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon almond flour (20 grams)
- 1 teaspoon coconut flour
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- baking soda (just a pinch)
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons Swerve (granulated)
- 1/2 beaten egg
- 2 teaspoons melted unsalted butter or avocado oil
- 2 teaspoons heavy cream or sour cream (Can skip if dairy free)**
- dash vanilla
- pinch salt (just a pinch)
- espresso powder (a pinch, if you have it.)
- 1 teaspoon chocolate chips
**If you want this mug cake dairy free, use avocado oil, skip the cream or sour cream and sub with almond milk.
The things that make this mug cake special are the addition of the chocolate chips and espresso powder. It pushes the flavor, and if you have some Maldon flaked salt, sprinkle on a little of that as well.
Mug Cake Tip: Bag up all the dry ingredients in baggies for easy grab and make.
Make Easy Mug Cakes Bags
Assemble the flours, baking powder, baking soda, swerve, salt, cocoa powder in little bags. Then, all you need to do is grab a bag and add your wet ingredients.
Macros for Low Carb Chocolate Mug Cake
Net Carbs: 4 Calories: 249
Tips for Mug Cakes
- Use unsalted butter or avocado oil.
- Use a good cocoa powder. We like the Better Body Organic Cacao for it’s depth of flavor.
- Mug cakes need to be eaten right away because they are microwaved and will dry up.
- You actually CAN bake mug cake in oven for about 13-15 minutes at 350 degrees F., 180 C.
More Low Carb Chocolate Desserts from Spinach Tiger
- Keto Ding Dong Cake
- Keto Brownies
- Keto Chocolate Buttercream
- Keto German Chocolate Cake
- Keto Texas Sheet Cake
- Keto Chocolate Budino
Low Carb Chocolate Mug Cake
- 1 tablespoon melted unsalted butter or avocado oil
- 1/2 egg
- 2 teaspoons heavy cream or milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar free chocolate chips
- Mix all dry ingredients together.
- In mug melt butter. Add the egg, cream. Wide mugs work better than narrow vessels.
- Mix in all dry Ingredients. Mix well. Batter will be thick.
- Top with a few sugar free chocolate chips.
- Microwave for 60 seconds. If your mug cake still looks wet in middle do another ten seconds. Eat immediately.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo