Five years ago, I started making keto friendly desserts, taking sugar off the table. This recipe is perfect because asides from being creamy and chocolatey, it requires very little additional sweetener. The key is using a good chocolate and my choice is Choc Zero dark chocolate chips. They melt well and help make a crowd pleasing chocolate lover’s dessert.
What are the Ingredients for Keto chocolate Mousse?
- Sugar Free Dark Chocolate Chips (I use Choc Zero)
- Heavy Cream
- Eggs, Divided
- 2 tablespoons espresso or coffee
- Small amount of sweetener (I use Swerve)
I am a Choc Zero Affiliate and earn a commission on sales. Choc Zero the only brand I use for my keto bakery.
There are very few ingredients in this recipe, but you will use about 4 different bowls. The good news here is the only cooking you have to do is melting the chocolate in a bain marie.
What is a Bain Marie?
A Bain Marie serves as s double boiler. This means you put the chocolate in a stainless bowl that will sit over simmering water. Please do not microwave the chocolate. It’s too easy to overdo it and ruin the chocolate.
You will use Four Bowls
- Bowl to Melt Chocolate over simmering water
- Bowl to Beat Egg Yolks
- Bowl to Beat Egg Whites
- Bowl to Beat Heavy Cream
I’m sorry if that sounds like a lot, but all of this can be done with a hand mixer, and it doesn’t take very long.
Raw Eggs Disclaimer: You will be using raw eggs in this recipe, and that’s never a concern for me, but there are always warnings of salmonella. If this concerns you, you can use pasteurized eggs.
Process for Keto Chocolate Mousse
- Melt the chocolate first. Stir in the coffee. Allow to cool, slightly.
- Separate eggs. Beat yolks with sweetener until they change color and become more pale and thicker.
- In separate bowl, beat egg whites until you have almost stiff peaks.
- In cold bowl, beat whipped cream until you have soft peaks.
- Add egg yolks to the chocolate.
- Stir in the egg whites.
- Gently stir in the whipped cream.
- Pour into individual dishes.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours to overnight.
This recipe made 10 small servings. You could also do 8 larger servings. You could also cut this recipe in half and make five small servings.
You could also make a chocolate mousse tart with this recipe, which I might do before the whole Valentine’s season is over.
Macros: 1 Carb per serving.
More Keto Chocolate Desserts from Spinach Tiger
Keto Italian Chocolate Mousse
- 6 oz. sugar free dark chocolate chips
- 4 eggs separated
- 2 teaspoons Erythritol (such as Swerve)
- 1/4 cup strong espresso coffee cooled
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- Stabilized whipped cream and shaved chocolate for garnish Recipe Here
- Melt chocolate in bain marie. (Stainless bowl over pot of simmering water.)
- Stir in coffee. Cool.
- Beat egg yolks with sweetener until pale yellow.
- Add egg yolks mixture to melted chocolate.
- Beat whipping cream to soft peaks in cold bowl and fold in.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form, gently fold in.
- Put in individual serving dishes. Refrigerate at least four hours.
- When ready to serve, garnish with whipped cream, and/or shaved chocolate.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo