Homemade Shortcake Biscuits for Strawberry Shortcake
This one is a real favorite because all my life I have loved the real strawberry shortcake.
When I say real, old fashioned strawberry shortcake with homemade short cake biscuits, I hope you all know what I mean. Not those sponge cakes we all had as kids. Who’s idea were those? They still sell them in the store, but please take a minute and see how easy this recipe is and make your own shortcakes.
These shortcake biscuits are so much better. They absorb the strawberry juice, yet don’t get soggy and make a perfect bite of cake, fruit an cream.
Sweet crumbly homemade shortcake biscuits are suited to absorb the juice of strawberries and cream.
The only thing that makes it even better is adding a tiny dollop of ice cream which melts into a creamy sauce absorbed by the shortcake biscuit. Pushing chocolate aside, the strawberry shortcake dessert is grown-up childhood, comfort food. Adding a few blackberries to the strawberry shortcake makes it even better.
Homemade Shortcake biscuits are different from regular biscuits.
They crumble, which is what “shortbread” does. Similar to short bread, they are crumbly due to the butter/flour ratio. My basic biscuit recipe has a high fat content so I didn’t increase that. I used my basic biscuit recipe, adding more sugar and using cream instead of buttermilk.
This is a great make ahead dessert. You can freeze the biscuits and warm them in microwave, or make them early in the day. Assemble immediately before serving. Mason jars come in very handy for an outdoor barbecue.
So tell me, how do you eat your strawberry shortcake? Soggy store bought sponge cakes or real homemade shortcake biscuits?
Connect with me on instagram for lots of food pictures. I’d love to meet you there.
A Few More Fabulous Strawberry Desserts from Spinach Tiger
These strawberry biscuits are scone-like and addicting! I recently demonstrated them at Williams Sonoma and they were as the southern ladies said, “divine.”
Strawberries and blueberries go so well together to make this tart from the heart.
If you’re looking for a gluten free alternative, you have to try these.
Old Fashioned Strawberry Shortcake with Homemade Shortcake Biscuits
- shortcake biscuits see recipe below
- 2 quarts of strawberries washed, trimmed, sliced
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar depending on how sweet strawberries are
- whipped cream
- SHORTCAKE BISCUITS
- 2 cups soft wheat flour can use all purpose flour if necessary
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons ice cold butter cut into cubes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- FRESH WHIPPED CREAM
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioner's sugar
- Mix all dry ingredients together.
- Cut butter into flour until you have consistency of course crumbs
- Add in heavy cream, stir until you have a biscuit dough.
- You may need to flour your hands to form into a dough to roll and cut.
- A small biscuit cutter will make 18 biscuits.
- A medium biscuit cutter will make 10-12.
- Place them on a baking sheet, touching. You can bake them in a cast iron pan. I used a baking stone.
- Bake at 450 for 13-18 minutes depending on your oven and how large the biscuits are.
- FRESH WHIPPED CREAM
- Whip heavy cream with confectioner's sugar until stiff.
- STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE ASSEMBLY
- Strawberries should sit in water and sugar for at least an hour.
- Cut biscuits in half, and layer strawberries also using some of the liquid, which soaks into the biscuits.
- Top with fresh whipped cream.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo