Gluten Free Strawberry Scones
The other day I picked strawberries on a day I needed to touch the earth. Life was getting hectic as I prepared for an out of town beach getaway. In a mad dash, I threw together a gluten free strawberry scones recipe.
It worked on the first try and was so good, I packed them up for the car ride to a beach for a girlfriend’s getaway.
Sometimes things happen by chance, although I’m starting to believe more things in life are not chance at all. I just happen to have everything on hand to make scones and try them gluten free.
Gluten Free Strawberry Scones Recipe
No one knew these were gluten free. The texture was amazing. I used more cream and butter than I use with biscuits. Gluten free flour absorbs liquid, and doesn’t have the binding gluten, so I used an egg. I used King Arthur’s gluten free flour, which I love.
They travelled on that car ride to the beach (which I can’t wait to share with you). Everyone loved them.
More Scones/Biscuits You May Like
You may like these. They are not gluten free, but if you add an egg to your gluten free flour and adjust liquid, they should turn out successfully. I do plan to remake them with gluten free flour so stay tuned.
Feel free to contact me anytime with biscuit/scone baking questions. I’ll answer back, and I’d love to connect on Instagram. I have all my recipes on Pinterest, and I’ve created a gluten free board you might love.
- 2¼ cups gluten free baking flour (I used King Arthur), more for dusting
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sugar
- 8 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup heavy cream, plus 1 tablespoon of cream for brushing.
- 1 egg
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, dusted with flour
- sugar for dusting
- Cut butter into small pieces. Freeze for 15 minutes. If frozen longer, leave out for a few minutes to warm up. You want the butter hard and cold, but not so hard you can't mix it.
- Prepare strawberries. Trim stems off, cut into quarters, depending on how large strawberries are. You want them the size of small raspberries. Flour them. Set aside.
- Whisk together flour, salt and sugar, baking powder.
- Add butter and with your hands or pastry cutter, cut the butter allowing it to remain in large enough chunks to melt in oven. (I have a biscuit video under videos on side bar category).
- Add strawberries, making sure they are covered with flour and be very gentle.
- Mix cream with egg. Mix egg into cream gently.
- Add this liquid to the mix.
- Dough will be very sticky. Flour your hands and bring together into a disc about 8 inches wide.
- If you have time, refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Form into a flat round about 8 inches.
- Cut into 8 pie shaped pieces. You may need to use more flour for this part.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place on baking dish with parchment paper (not necessary, but a nice to do).
- Brush with cream.
- Sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.