Lemon Ricotta Pancakes are Gluten Free and Fluffy!
Hi friends. I hope you’re having a fabulous Sunday, but by now it might be Monday or happy hour Friday. If so, plan to make this on the weekend, because it’s a real treat. Ricotta cheese makes pancakes and cookies fluffier if you remember these Italian ricotta cookies.
I’m happy to bring you gluten free eating with these scrumptious, fluffy, high protein, gluten free lemon ricotta pancakes. I’ve topped them with a stevia sweetened blueberry compote, which packs in sweetness and health.
A few months ago I posted these lemon ricotta pancakes on instagram, claiming they were the best ever. I promised to try to make them. I decided to do a healthier version, by using stevia and my favorite gluten free flour.
Mr. Spinach Tiger did not know these were gluten free and sugar free (stevia), and he said,
“these are the best pancakes you ever made”
No syrup needed! No sugar necessary. No guilt. No Gluten.
I never fell for the non-fat fad that fattened up our population. I still don’t fall for the “gluten is the devil” fad either. It does depend on health issues, and it’s a complicated topic, but I know many of you live gluten free, and you deserve good choices.
Gluten Free Lemon Ricotta Pancakes with Blueberry Compote
Gluten free flour is not exactly a health food, but it can be the option to enjoy the foods you might otherwise miss. I’ve tested a few and I like the Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 all purpose gluten free flour. I do not like their gluten free that has beans in it. There are also many good gluten free flours on line, but I like to work with flours that you can easily purchase at your closest grocery store.
I particularly like this recipe because the ricotta cheese and eggs packs them with protein. Blueberries are a super food, packed with antioxidants and are high in fiber.
The compote and pancakes are made with stevia in the raw and are sugar free. These were so good, no extra syrup was necessary.
The original restaurant version had a dollop of mascarpone so feel free to add more of what you like to these delicious gluten free lemon ricotta pancakes.
If you eat gluten free due to health issues, such as intolerance or Hashimoto’s (which I also have), I’d love to hear more from you in the comments. Let me know what kind of gluten free recipes you are looking for.
- 1⅓ cups gluten free all purpose flour (1 to 1 Baking Bob's Red Mill)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon stevia
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil. (can use butter, or olive oil)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
- juice and zest of one lemon
- 2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tablespoons stevia
- ¼ cup water
- juice of half lemon
- 1 tablespoon instant tapioca (optional)
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, stevia, lemon zest. Set aside.
- Whip egg whites until stiff. Set aside.
- Mix milk with lemon juice, lemon zest, egg yolks, 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil, vanilla.. (save one tablespoon for cooking)
- Add in ricotta cheese.
- Add in flour mixture.
- Add in whipped egg whites, gently.
- Don't worry about lumps. They will smooth out during cooking.
- Melt a small amount of coconut oil on griddle or non stick pan. Use medium low heat.
- Drop pancakes in ¼ cup amounts. Once tops begin to bubble, turn over until golden brown on both sides.
- Bring blueberries, stevia, water, lemon juice, tapioca to boil. Reduce to simmer until thickened.
Flour used: I use Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Baking All purpose flour.
The Latest Gluten Free Baking from Spinach Tiger