Let’s keep your holidays and weekend brunch entertaining easy with this delicious sweet potato sausage breakfast casserole.
Baked in a 9 x 13 baking dish, you will have up to 12 servings, which makes this perfect for cutting into squares for a brunch party.
Ingredients for Low Carb Sausage Casserole
- Sausage (Italian or Country)
- Sweet Potato
- Fresh Spinach (can use kale or arugula)
- Cheddar Cheese
- Baking Spray
- 9 x 13 Baking Dish
- Parchment Paper
- Egg Scrambler
Spinach Tiger earns a commission from Amazon Purchases.
Are Sweet Potatoes Low Carb?
Some of you may be wondering how sweet potatoes are low carb, but the entire recipe uses one cubed sweet potato, 20 net carbs for the entire recipe that feeds 8 to 10. Sweet potatoes are also a low glycemic food that deliver tons of nutrition and flavor. You can further devalue the carbs by baking and then refrigerating causing more resistant starch, but truthfully, they are worth not worrying about. You CAN leave the potatoes out and make sausage, spinach and perhaps mushrooms if you’re concerned.
How do you Cube and Roast Sweet Potatoes?
Sweet potatoes are quite fibrous and not that easy to cut in half, so peel first and then do your best to use a sharp knife and slice in half lengthwise. From there cut one inch slices lengthwise and then chop into cubes. You will be surprised just how many cubes you get from just one potato.
Roasted cubed sweet potatoes are a treat in and of themselves and I often use them in this kale Autumn salad. They are an easy side dish but particularly delicious in frittatas and egg casseroles. Toss with some olive oil (not too much) salt and pepper and maybe a little bit of paprika, chili powder or gentle smidge of cayenne. Bake on 400 degrees F. for about 15 to 20 minutes. No longer than that because you don’t want them mushy.
Tips for Baking Low Carb Sausage Egg Casserole
- Use parchment paper for the bottom if you have it. Eggs are high in protein and that protein can stick.
- Whip eggs frothy for fluffy casserole.
- Make sure your meats are pre-cooked, whether it be sausage or bacon. I prefer sausage, as bacon inside of eggs doesn’t hold its crispiness.
- Try different cheeses, but no need to load up on the cheese. I like cheddar, goat cheese, and manchego in this recipe.
- Do not over bake. This was finished at 25 minutes at 375 degrees F. Another few minutes would have made the eggs tough.
- Cool for five to ten minutes before cutting into.
- Once you cut the first slice, you can slip out the parchment paper.
- Refrigerate and reheat in the oven or toaster oven for best results.
- Play around: Use white potatoes, purple potatoes or make it all carnivore.
- Greens bring color. Use baby spinach, kale, chard, arugula or skip and sprinkle parsley when it comes out of the oven.
- Add in something red for color. I used bomba sauce (from Trader Joe’s). You can add a few slivers of red pepper.
Low Carb Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- 12 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup heavy cream optional
- 1 large roasted cubed sweet potato
- 1 pound loose sweet sausage Italian or country
- 1 handful baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 tablespoon bomba sauce
How to Cook Sweet Potatoes
- 1 large sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- dash sea salt
- dash black pepper
- dash paprika or cayenne pepper
Baked Egg Frittata Casserole
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. 190 C.
- Prepare 9 x 13 baking dish with parchment paper and spraying sides with baking spray.
- Prepare sweet potatoes (recipe below).
- Cook sausage in frying pan over medium heat, breaking it up for bite sized pieces. Drain on paper towels.
- Beat eggs with salt, pepper and heavy cream.
- Place sausage and sweet potato cubes evenly in baking pan. Arrange spinach leaves evenly.
- Pour eggs over baking pan.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese evenly.
- If you want to add in bomba sauce spoon in to your taste.
- Bake in middle of oven for 25 minutes. Rest 10 minutes before cutting.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo