Chicken Thighs, Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Sauce
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Have you ever had a recipe you mean to make, but for some reason it gets delayed?
I had the picture and recipe for Chicken with Creamy Sun Dried tomato sauce torn from believe it or not the Costco Magazine, November 2018 issue, on my bulletin board for two years. It looked so good, but something would get in my way of making it. I am not as much a procrastinator as one who likes to do everything, cook everything, bake everything, paint everything, etc.
While almost all my 1300 plus recipes here are created and developed in my kitchen, this recipe is not my idea.
I did change it up a bit, as original recipe uses boneless chicken breasts, and you can do that instead of the thighs. I reduced the amount of garlic from 3 cloves to 1 clove, as I’m not a fan of garlic in creamy recipes. I made it spicier with bomba sauce and, while I didn’t have actual sun dried tomatoes, I used a tomato pesto which is made with sun dried tomatoes.
Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Sauce Vs. Tomato Pesto
You can use either sun dried tomatoes in oil or tomato pesto, which contains sun dried tomatoes.
I discovered French Tomato Pesto in a French bakery this past summer. So sad when I was at the end of it, I ordered on Amazon (affiliate). I love it in soup, in sauces, and in omelettes. I use it for my sausage crusted pizza too, when I don’t have tomato sauce.
The major changes were reducing the chicken broth, using chicken thighs and adding in roasted cauliflower at the end as there was a lot of sauce to soak up. The result was a dish that could be served in a upscale restaurant. I only made 4 chicken thighs but you could do 6 or 8 in this recipe.
Roasting Chicken Thighs
The first thing you have to do is roast the thighs. I find this the easiest way to make this dish, and as they are in the oven, you can then gather all the ingredients for the sauce and chop the cauliflower if you are using that. Ignore the sun dried tomatoes that I replaced with the f
Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Sauce with Cauliflower
At the end I knew there was a lot of sauce and that would be great for rice, potatoes or cauliflower. I added in roasted cauliflower. Cut bite sized pieces, toss with some olive oil, and roast on 400 F., 205 C. for about 12 minutes. Toss into then sauce and the meal is complete.
The initial sauce was not as thick as the magazine picture, and I added in my easy to make xanthan gum gel.
If you don’t have xanthan gum, you could use unflavored gelatin, by heating broth separately and stirring it in.
- Chicken Thighs (can use boneless chicken breasts)
- Tomato Pesto or Sun Dried Tomato
- Heavy Cream
- White Wine
- Chicken Broth
- Xanthan Gum Gel or Unflavored Gelatin
- Bomba Sauce (or red chili flakes)
- Cauliflower (as a side option).
TIP: Gelatin: Sprinkle 2 teaspoons into cold broth and wait until it blooms. Then add broth according to recipe.
We love bone-in, skin on chicken thighs for flavor and affordability. Here are some more chicken thigh recipes you might love from Spinach Tiger.
Chicken Thighs in Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Sauce
- 4 chicken thighs
- 4 cups cauliflower side option
Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Sauce
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons sun dried tomatoes packed In oil see notes
- 3 tablespoons or tomato pesto Option In
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons xanthan gum gel Recipe here or use Unflavored Gelatin
- fresh thyme or basil
Roast Chicken Thighs
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Heat cast iron pan for ten minutes.
- Place thighs skin side down for twenty minutes. Then turn over and roast for another 10-15 minutes until internal temperate reads 165 Degrees. f
- Roast cauliflower for ten minutes, once the chicken thighs come out of oven, while you are making the sauce.
Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Sauce
- Add garlic and cook for one minute, stirring, making sure not to burn.
- Add red pepper flakes or bomba sauce.
- If Using Unflavored Gelatin: sprinkle 2 teaspoons over cold broth. Wait for it to bloom. Then add broth in.
- Add chicken broth and heat for a few minutes.
- Add white wine bring to boil and reduce heat. Simmer 5 or ten minutes.
- Stir In heavy cream, and either tomato pesto or sun dried tomatoes.
- Taste for seasoning. If you want to increase heat, add in more red pepper flakes or bomba sauce.
- Once sauce is complete, add in chicken thighs and cauliflower.
- Garnish with fresh thyme, basil or parsley.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo