I’ve been making this wonderful chicken dish for two years now and forgetting to post it. It’s simple, a little unique and offers room for your own take on it.
I only use a few ingredients, some olive oil, tumeric (a spice used in curry) onions and lemons. It’s served with sweet potatoes that seem to compliment it just right.
Turmeric is typically used as an Indian culinary spice and is believed to have amazing health benefits. It’s a power anti-oxidant, has anti-inflammatory benefits and believed to be a metabolism booster. Aside from the turmeric, this is a very healthy dish. No skin, lots of protein (chicken) and high fiber (sweet potatoes) and puts in that category of healthy and hardy which is welcome this time of year.
I use chicken thighs, but have used all the chicken parts in the past except wings because I pull all the skin off first. If you do use chicken breasts cut them in half or even thirds if they are large. The onions and lemons are the big flavor boosters, so use plenty.
Last summer I brought this to a pot luck at a winery. It was very well received, and everyone asked for the recipe. I did include chicken legs (skin removed and some white potatoes too).
Chicken Thighs, Lemon, Onions, Turmeric, Sweet Potatoes
- 8 chicken thighs on bone skin removed
- olive oil or avocado oil
- 2 large onions medium sliced
- 2 lemons sliced in medium slices
- 1 tablespoon or more of turmeric
- sea salt
- black pepper
- 3 sweet potatoes peeled, sliced in thick slices
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Rub chicken thighs with olive oil.
- Place sliced onions in shallow baking pan, covering the whole pan.
- Place chicken over onions.
- Place lemon slices in between all the chicken, first squeezing some of the juice over the chicken.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, turmeric. Be generous with turmeric.
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes. Turn over for 10-15 more minutes. You may want to turn over again for another five minutes so chicken is golden.
- In another shallow baking dish, toss sweet potatoes in olive oil, salt, pepper and bake for 20-30 minutes until done.
- Serve chicken over the sweet potatoes.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo